Splined axle bearing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Splined axle bearing question

We got the axle out, bearing and collar cut off. This time it was faster. I'll clean up the axle and deburr the splines whete the sprocket tube goes.
    We figure to install the axle tomorrow.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

The axle is now ready. I have new outer flanges, but these need two holes drilled to mount. I'll use my drill press to make these holes, using old flanges as a template.

I put some photos in my gallery.

Rusty,

You are becoming expert on these machines. Thank you for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by akcrawler View Post
    Rusty,

You are becoming expert on these machines. Thank you for the update.
    Working on the Max is actually enjoyable. It can get confusing at times, but it helps to have others explain it. Besides, if we breakdown out on the trail I can possibly fix it. Another thing, my wife enjoys it, too. Shes my 'panic mechanic'. When things go bad at the worst possible moment, she jumps right in there . Shes not afraid to get her skirt dirty.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Task complete. We got the axle back in, with new outer bearing, flanges, and sprocket tube.
    Due to ordering the wrong inner bearings we are using the older ones (correct ones being sent to me today) . These inners feel tight. They roll with a feel of new ones. I figure I can trade them out once they go bad.

Next week we will check the bearings on the other axles. I got other commitments, and left eye surgury come Monday.

This was a lot of work, but we got it done.

We got the chains and T20 back in the Max. Getting the transmission back in the proper spot is frustrating. Getting the bolt holes lined up with the frame holes is ugly stuff. Always off a tiny bit.
    I discovered when I use a two-foot length 2x6 shoved behind the T20 (and in front of the rear frame) I can use it as leverage to push the trans forward where the holes are. Easy enough now.

It's always the little tricks that make the difference in how the job goes.

Axle bearings... A bit confusing but not very diffecult.

Several weeks ago my wife amd I changed out the outer bearings, flanges, and sprocket sets to both rear axles. This was not too much of a problem, the work involved was easy, but took us all day per axle. A few days added in there to remove the engine and trans first.
    After a week off for eye surgury we installed the trans and engine, then gave the machine a test ride. We heard some ugly intermittant noise from under the floor boards, which at first confused us. What was it? We looked but saw nothing. I tightened a few chains, thinking they were slapping the bottom. Nope, not the problem.
    We put the M-IV on a few wheel ramps and didcovered the right front bearings were the problem. The middle axle outers also had too much play.
    So, last night I read about the front axle from the manual. This confused me some. Most of it made sense though.
    Tbone gave me advise on this (thank you). This morning we tore the front axle out, and replaced the outer bearings and flanges. It went together easy. I'm a hands-on kind if guy. The manual did eventually help, once I got to doing the actual work.
    We took the middle axle out, which was the first axle out of four to cause problems. Rusted ugly. It took some "slide hammer" effort with the axle. Grunt and groan. Its out, waiting for tomorrow to be cleaned up and put back together. Anti-seize is your friend.
    I want to thank the many members here who have helped me keep our M-IV in top shape. You guys rock!

Glad your making progress. it gets a little easier as you go.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Yes, it does get easier. And easier to understand to more its done.
    Never having owned a Max before, and reading the service manual, does get a bir confusing at times.
    What did it say? I'm supposed to do what? It goes where? Whats it mean?
    Well, once we got into doing the actual work, and keeping those questions in mind, we begin to understand what the manual said.
    Asking a few questions here helps a lot. Everyone is very helpful. It is indeed appreciated.
    Using the search button and reading also helps a lot.

One thing we noticed when doing the "slide hammer" trick to get the sprocket off and axle out is the sprocket teeth scratch the bottom of the tub. Lesson .. put a piece of plywood as a tub protector.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-31-2016 at 02:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread