New battery wont start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New battery wont start

New battery wont start

1992 Max IV 16 hp Briggs.
    Well i think my fuel issue is resolved. Mostly centered around stupidity. Choke was not being fully disengaged and my mistrust of the fuel shutoff I installed caused me to turn it on and off. Mostly off........
    She started up after choking having sat for a month and a half. After sorting out the "fuel" issue, she ran like a banshee for about 20 minutes. However, when i went to restart, the engine barely turned over and then "click, click" nothing. I was able to jump it off with my battery pack and she fired right up and did another 15-20 minutes. Same thing when i shut down again. No turn over just clicks.
    Other info;
    1. Battery is maybe 5 months old
    2. Some Wires from ignition were pulled out accidentally and were reinserted using trial and Error 2 months ago. She has run fine electrically speaking since
    3. Was using a harbor freight solar trickle charger that was connected to battery but was left Inside the vehicle under cover for that month and a half.

Any guidance appreciated

First I'll let you know those HF solar chargers discharge more than they charge. The led uses more on non charge times.

Bring battery to full charge and start the engine. With a meter read the battery voltage at mid throttle. Should be 13.8-14.2 volts. Most common non charging problem on that year is the inline fuse holder. I cut them out and install a 30
    Amp marine fuse holder that accepts the push in fuse. Wiring diagrams by serial # are on this site in manuals.

Thanks. No more solar charger then

Ill charge up the battery and check the voltage. Tried checking yesterday only to find out my Craftsmen voltmeter was reading increasing voltage without touching anything. This may be an electric conspiracy!! Ill get another meter and start over per instructions. Thanks msafi65

I think part of the problem is the cheaply constructed batteries that most people buy (myself included). If they aren't trickle charged they die quickly from sitting or if they are on a non float charger, die even quicker via over charging. Most of the batteries I've used go a couple of years then voltage drops to marginal levels, at that point they become spares.

They don't make batteries like they used to.
    I had a dodge neon that had the original battery from 95-06. Nowadays I'm lucky to get 2 years out of em.

I pull em all out of the toys and rotate a trickle charger once in awhile over the winter

Well i finally had some time to try and get things sorted. As per guidance, i pulled the battery and charged fully. I reinstalled and while in there noticed a dangling fuse holder end with no fuse. I found the other end with fuse. Burnt 30 amp. Hmmm seems like somone said this was an issue on these..........Anywho, replaced fuse and she fired right up. Ran well for 20 minutes. Shut it off, held my breath.......she fired right up again! Msafi65 can you guide me to that fuse you install? Thanks guys!

I remove the old glass fuse holder and get a marine type that is covered and uses a push in 30 amp fuse. NAPA part # 782-2023 is one I have on the shelf. Many times the old holders look ok but are corroded inside beyond use.

Thank you sir. Im on it!

+ Reply to Thread