Rear Chain Noise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Chain Noise

Rear Chain Noise

I've had consistent noise at the rear chain, everything it's under a little load. Pretty sure it's from the t20 drive chain. I've pulled the tranny three times. No matter what it still has some clunk to it. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Mike; 07-09-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Moved post out to a thread of its own

Quote Originally Posted by dixopr View Post
    I've had consistent noise at the rear chain, everything it's under a little load. Pretty sure it's from the t20 drive chain. I've pulled the tranny three times. No matter what it still has some clunk to it. Any ideas?
    Pull the bolts in the sprockets on the rear axles and have a looksee, also check the idler sprocket bearings visually.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I agree with Jim, usually its the idler sprocket bearing, sometimes its just warn out chain that stretched just enough to get loose and bind. On a Max 4, I get the best Diamond brand chain I can find and install it on the T20 drive sprockets. From memory, I think its only 52 links per side, so a 10' box of chain will do the job and give you some extra length for backup. For a frugal guy you could use cheapy chain for the more accessible lengths forward in the Max4. By Cheapy chain I mean anything other than tractor supply cheap. You can get high strength foreign made chain for about the same price as the cheap junk that T.S.C. sells.
    If you are really handy, you could also fab up a different mount for the T20 to give an inch or so of adjustment that will extend chain life too. Most Max4s have a light weight tranny mount and the frames could use some reinforcement too.

Have not pulled the motor yet. Noise doesn't seem to bad anymore, I actually think it is my belt. It is loose so it isn't putting enough force on the clutch until it revs up. If I rev it up then turn or engage the machine, no noise. I put new chains on it last time I pulled the tranny.

I had something similar happen to me, I chased it for a few weeks. It only happened going up steep obsticles when most of the weight and traction was on the rear tires, like climbing out of creek beds. It turned out to be the rim slipping inside the tire and adding a few PSI solved the problem but what a racket it made, it sure as hell sounded mechanical.

Watch the clutch in neutral rev up, wore Salisbury's can do that.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I will replace the belt, first. Tires are inflated to about 10 so should be good.

Bikebandit carries Tsubaki chain for a good price. MFG Supply also has chain that is quite good, same syrength as Tsubaki Omega.
    Use quality chain. Lasts longer, less issues. Keep them lubed.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I will replace the belt, first. Tires are inflated to about 10 so should be good.
    If you are inflating your tires to 10 (ten) PSI, then you are running in a territory that almost all of us have not seen.

10psi was an exaggeration. More like 6, was running it on gravel road while sorting out my noise issue. Good and firm, low drag.

+ Reply to Thread