Max IV clutch question?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV clutch question?

Max IV clutch question?

I was riding the Max IV today and all of a sudden I hear a clanking noise coming from the back of the machine. Upon further inspection it looks like the secondary clutch on the t20 came unscrewed. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Also, what is the likely hood that I messed up the tranny? Is it hard to get the clutch back in? Will I have to remove the engine to do this job? Any information is appreciated.

Engine and transmission have to come out to reinstall the clutch. I've had mount bolts break and get loose. If the clutch spins on the input shaft it can ruin the shaft and the inner bore of the clutch. If the shaft measures less than .875" all the way to the outer end,replace it. Just a couple thousandths under and the clutch will work loose.

Does any one know of any how to video or document on how to remove the engine and trans?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    Does any one know of any how to video or document on how to remove the engine and trans?
    Removing the engine is one of the easiest jobs to do on a Max IV. disconnect the choke cable, throttle cable, fuel line, starter wire and unplug the electrical connection. Next undo the 4 engine stand mounts located at the bottom of each leg. Tip the motor over a little bit to allow the drive belt to come off easily and then lift the motor and stand out to expose the transmission. If the back seat is removed you can just slide the motor forward to get at the transmission.

To take the T-20 out you will need to remove both drive chains, disconnect both lateral controls and both shift linkages. There are 6 bolts that secure the T-20 into the frame 4 at the bottom sides of the transmission, they should have a locking plate that needs to be bent back flat to loosen these bolts and 2 at the top securing the torque straps.

Thanks for that information. I will hopefully tackle this job this weekend to get her back in action!

mine did this once lucky I caught it quick I was able to find the wedge key in the tub it took a little finagling to get it back on but I was in the middle of nowhere and had no choice. I got it home took it apart put in a new wedge key cleaned everything up and put lock tight on the bolt and have not had any problems since. I have found not to over tighten bolts like that it seems they come loose easier. I am sure there is a torque spec for that bolt.
    GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by dgeiman View Post
    mine did this once lucky I caught it quick I was able to find the wedge key in the tub it took a little finagling to get it back on but I was in the middle of nowhere and had no choice. I got it home took it apart put in a new wedge key cleaned everything up and put lock tight on the bolt and have not had any problems since. I have found not to over tighten bolts like that it seems they come loose easier. I am sure there is a torque spec for that bolt.
    GOOD LUCK
    Mine came loose on me shortly after I purchased the machine, it may have already been loose as the engine and trans were already out of the Max when I bought it (frame needed some repair). I was lucky I heard the washer rattling around before the bolt backed all the way out. I always use a good and thick fender washer, a lock washer and blue loctite on clutch bolts. I agree with tight but not "stretch the bolt" tight.
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 07-14-2016 at 06:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread