Max II axle upgrades

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Max II axle upgrades

I was able to use a large arbor press. I would say size on size about so no heat needed. I did not Mic them out but even a large hammer and a hunk of brass would work I am sure.

One critique: The outer bearing will act as a fulcrum so the sleeve would need to be extended through that bearing right up to the sprocket tube. Total length of sleeve would not need to change, only the placement. Reinforcing the old style outer flange is a whole other issue. With the newer splined style axles the bending axle problem is much more rare and could be looked at as a good thing. It is likely that the bent axle is from hitting an object such as a rock or tree.....the weak link may just save something more expensive. I'm currently thinking of 1 1/2 axles for mine after twisting this one in half, but after all the gentle use this machine has seen, I still have not bent one.

I do agree that the bearing will still be the fulcrum. BUT, short of installing a larger ID bearing it would be impossible to extend the sleeve past/through the bearing. The sleeve also acts as a good place to weld the gussets to without compromising the strength of the axle shaft itself. The older axles that did not have that large backing cone behind the bolt flange were prone to snap that flange off, hence the gussets.

+ Reply to Thread