New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

Thanks again for all the help!
    Last edited by Stoneyridgeboy; 07-25-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

family comes first !! good man.... j.b.

The Mudd-Ox site has some really good pictures.

Max IV | Mudd-Ox & Max ATVMudd Ox

got a chance to get some more pics with the engine out
    IMG_3144.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3142.jpg

I believe the original owner had fun cutting off parts, and adding brackets. The drum brake mount is gone. the steering levers and linkage... gone. Shifting lever and linkage... gone. The engine platform/mount. hacked. So, now I need to decide. Buy a donor or fabricate

So, my redneck side has decided to build the laterals and shifter. I don't think the shifter lever diameter will matter since I'll be deciding what size grip to put on it. I do, however need to know the length and size of pipe to form the laterals out of. Is the pipe the same size as a standard motorcycle handlebar? I am hoping to use the factory throttle since that looks like the best setup. Do you all like the stock height, or should I go a little taller or shorter?

good job, go into the GOLIATH build thread AKA MPS. on 9th page and you can look at the levers i built with whippers help. i would direct you to his thread but all his builds have been DELETED i wonder why.
    Last edited by wfo; 08-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.

I've noticed the deleted/edited posts as well. I'm curious about that as well. Thanks for the pics.

Well, I don't have any definite measurements for the laterals on the Max (length or diameter) or the steering mount, but I have begun repurposing materials from the farm. I estimated that the plate on either side of the mount is a 4"x 4" square since the screw holes are 3" center. My uncle used to work at an ATV dealership. The new units would be packaged in some industrial strength steel bar and plates. Well, I've found a couple donor pieces for the side mounts! For the rod spanning the distance and supporting the laterals, I removed one of the adjusting screw rods from a New Holland "68" square baler. For the base of the laterals, I'm using some old, black pipe. It's taken several hours and lots of rust dust, but I have the black pipe spinning smooth and true on the rod.

Now a question. The plates on either side of the laterals, is the rod welded to one side and slid into a hole on the other? Also, any suggestions on the length for the laterals? I'm looking at around 31" as an estimation.

Well, gotta hit the sack and get rested for tomorrow! Those K-5 students will need a rested teacher tomorrow!

Thanks!
    Kevin

Kevin, your 31" is a great guess. I measured my laterals from the top of the lateral down to the top of the tube they are welded to. They were 30" long. Roughly 8" from the top, they flare out to the side to give your hands room to hold both laterals. For the plates, the tube is welded to one plate on the left side of the machine and on the right side, I think that plate does have a hole for the rod. Sorry, I didn't look at that when I was out in the shop tonight.

I put laterals in my Avenger and welded tubing to both plates. I then used a rod in the center of the tubing that went through the laterals as well. Here is a photo of that:

Thanks Mike! I love figuring out how to make all this work. It's slow not having something to hold and measure at times, but the challenge is awesome! I can't wait to get it running. It's definitely different than my day job... teaching kids music!

Here are some pics of the materials I'm using.

This site rocks and all the help from everyone is amazing! Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread