New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

Well. Things are progressing. Slowly, but surely. Laterals and steering shafts are now mounted. Transmission fluid changed and top stabilizing bolts/studs drilled out (not without LOTS of trouble) and retapped. Also, transmission lever and shaft to rear mounted. Now to build some rear idler adjusters, buy new idlers, build shift levers for the T20, buy clutches, ... and more.

Thanks to ALL the amazing help I've received from everyone on here!

God bless you all!

Kevin
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

Been a while since I was able to get to the Max. Being a band dad, on top of work and family, keeps ya hopping. Well, yesterday I ordered new clutches, rear idler sprockets, adjusters, and upper shift linkage. Can't wait until the parts come in and I get to get my hands dirty again.

Max IV is getting so close to finish...

Well everyone, thanks to many helpful friends here with suggestions, parts help (sending, sourcing, and selling), and patience with a complete noob (when it comes to owning and driving these machines) the rebuild of my 1996 Max IV is almost complete! This week I hope to install my new clutches, mount the engine on its newly painted mount, install belt, attach wiring, fab up a floor, and install seats. OK, so now that I see what I have to do, and since I'll be on a work trip part of the week, this may not all get done.

That all being said, I just want to thank everyone for their help! This place is the best.

God bless.

Kevin

Congratulations on getting your Max to this point! I hope you get to go out and enjoy it soon.

learned a valuable lesson tonite. you can't install the driven clutch with the T-20 installed. haha!! oh well, if the process hasn't taught me anything else, it's to take each mistake in stride and learn from it. it was a successful nite wrenching still, I drew blood. that's my measure any way.

kevin

Got your email. Glad the mount made it to you. Keep up the good work sounds like you are getting close.

The past few days have been interesting. Got the engine mounted, clutch installed, some of the wiring figured out, and the belt on. After a big mouth of gas, and subsequent flushing of mouth with water from the hose (hope I don't get cancer from the hose. haha), I was able to fire up the engine and see the clutches work. The engine is running a little lean, but I'll get to that this weekend.

Now, I have to make some sort of floors for the machine. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about using a plastic bed liner and making it work.

Thanks everyone! I'm so close now I can taste it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneyridgeboy View Post
    I'm so close now I can taste it!!!
    I think you did taste it!

For the floor, you can try using a bedliner but it may not be rigid enough depending on which one you use. You can also get a sheet of HDPE and cut/mold it to fit. Using metal is another option. Check out racerone3's hot-to here: How to Build a Floor Pan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think you did taste it!

For the floor, you can try using a bedliner but it may not be rigid enough depending on which one you use. You can also get a sheet of HDPE and cut/mold it to fit. Using metal is another option. Check out racerone3's hot-to here: How to Build a Floor Pan
    I sure did taste it, Mike. YUCK! As for the floor, I'm gonna try a bedlinen first because it's free. I have a Max II tub I could cut up for the floor, but hoped to make that into a trailer. The aluminum floor is a cool idea. Thanks!

It happened tonite. I was able to back the Max IV out of the garage under its own power. It backed out, not the best, and then... nothing. I couldn't get it to move forward. I looked at how far the sticks were moving, and decided that they may need adjusting. It helped, and I was able to drive it around a little, but something is still not right.

+ Reply to Thread