New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

New to me Max IV. Lots of questions...

Hey guys. After years of searching for a 6x6 within a 3-4 drive from me, I found one within 15 minutes. A 1997 Max IV. The body is in really good shape with factory roll cage, windshield, winch, and good looking 26" wheels/tires. The seats are perfect.

1. Now the fun part. The original owner converted the machine to hydraulic. The next owner (the one I bought the machine from) drove it this way for a while, then he decided to try to return to original. He bought a donor machine for the T20, and he removed all the hydro motors and pump. He (in his 80's) got tired of working on it, and it set covered. I'm not sure what needs to be cut out and what needs to be replaced. I'm trying to look at as many pics of frames to help with this. From what I'm seeing so far, only a couple extra brackets have been made/welded in. I do believe, however, that there are WAY to many sprockets. Yeah. The man assured me it had all new chains and bearings, and they looked great. Oh, and it has no steering or shift levers either.

2. The T20 was not in the machine, but, rather in a shed. After we made the deal, we were loading the factory windshield, and the man started freaking out about some fluid all over the garage floor. He thought it was ATF from his truck or Jaguar. It wasn't. Rather, it was hydraulic oil from a butter tub on the floor. He was pleasantly relieved, as was I, until he informed me that that was the fluid from inside the T20.

3. The engine is supposed to be fairly new, and looks to be. The oil is clean, and it has good compression. BUT neither the trans or engine have clutches.

Now, I don't have too much in it so far. Should I try to buy new parts, source old parts, or buy a donor machine? Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know, this is the only Max within an hour or so drive.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Oh, and I'll be posting pics in a few minutes. I need to run out and take pics.
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

Here are some pics. See the extra sprockets? I believe there are extras under the engine. Oh, the engine. It doesn't look like it's mounted in the correct position. Is that even the correct mount?

There is i pic of all of the other components i have laying on the ground.

On a good note, I pulled the rope on the Briggs... nothing. Then remembered the key! Pulled the rope and almost passed out! Purred. I unhooked the fuel line before trying to run. Just placed fuel line in a gas can.IMG_3136.jpgIMG_3134.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3137.jpg

I can't see your pics too good on my phone. But here's a couple for you to look at. I can see the idler sprockets should be on top of the chain.
    Attached Images
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I'm in the same boat as I'm looking at it from my phone. It looks like he included a max II Jack shaft tower and possibly lowered the engine a bit.as tbone said, the chain should run under the idler sprockets.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks everybody. Your guidance is more appreciated than you can imagine. I was showing some guys at church, and had several interested in 6x6s. I may get a following in Central KY!! YAY!

No problem. You've come to the right place for help. This group is awesome.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

i'm thinking the extra sprockets i see in the picture have to do with when it was a hydraulic motor system.... and that's why the motor is in a different place also. get some pics off the site of the original max 4 engine and trans setup.. good luck and have fun getting it together. nice the engine runs !! johnboy va.

OK. So I found a possible donor machine. Just need to know how much steering levers and shift lever changed from the late 70's machines to my 96. This one has everything except engine, and I'm sure drive clutch. After doing some more looking today, here's a list of what I need off the top of my head. Steering levers, shift lever, brake, the linkages for shifting and steering, floor pans, engine mount (previous owner cut it down, ugh) throttle cable, driven and drive clutch and belt. yeah, I know.. quite a list.

stoney, another option you have is unless you plan on carrying passengers... maybe build it the way mike and a few others have where they mounted the trans in front of the engine and installed just one seat. small floor pan and chains and sprockets exposed for easy repair and maintenance. johnboy

Johnboy,
    The family would shoot me if I did that! haha. This will be a fun and utility machine. I will need the extra seating, so I will be trying to get the machine back to as original as possible. That thought had crossed my mind though.

+ Reply to Thread