New Max IV owner with a couple questions.... Help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Max IV owner with a couple questions.... Help!

New Max IV owner with a couple questions.... Help!

Hey guys, new to the forum and a new 6X6 owner. Just picked up a well taken care of 2001 Max IV yesterday. I have a couple questions if anyone can help. On the key switch panel, I have an accessory power point (cigarette lighter) and also an accessory switch. The power point works whether the switch is on or not. What does the switch do? Also, I got out on it this morning to learn to drive it trying to remember the quick tutorial the previous owner gave me. I got forward down but am having trouble in reverse. I can't seem to make it turn in reverse? Is is not supposed to? Since you have to pull back in reverse, I assumed that the operation was completely reversed and I could just push one side forward to turn. When I do that though it just wants to stop. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or is there another problem?

for reverse, put in reverse gear then pull both levers back you will back up straight. if you ease off on the right stick, you will get a reverse right turn. your still pulling back on the left stick.... just allittle practice j.b.

Thanks for the reply!

I went outside and gave it a shot. "Finessing" it as much as I could but still not getting results. Are the only suppose to turn to the right in reverse? I couldn't get it to go either way.

The short lever by your feet is the shifter. Down is forward. All the way up is reverse. Inbetween is neutral.
    Don't force the shifter, it may break the internal shift pins in the transmission. Instead, shake the machine to help it shift if need be.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

yea, just kind of rock the machine forward and back while sitting in the machine and pull up on the shift lever as you rock. also keep it at idle. if it won't go in reverse in may be something in the trans. ? remember you have to pull the levers back once in reverse to go. hope it works. j.b. if not someone will give some ideas what to check.

I am possibly misleading you guys. I can get it in reverse, I pull the levers back and it drives in reverse but I can't get it to TURN in reverse.

Hold the levers back HARD for reverse. Don't let the engine rev up and slip the transmission. Most of reverse problems is the driver allowing the sticks to settle back into neutral as they turn hence no steering. The springs can be loosened or as some prefer removed from the sticks. The springs on the sticks are only strong enough to keep the transmission from slipping at moderate throttle and load. When working at heavy throttle you need to hold forward also especially if you have 23 horse power and above.

I appreciate everyones help! I wont get a chance to check it again until later today. Just so I have it figured. In forward drive (from a stop), I can pull one lever back and leave one forward and hit the throttle and it automatically starts turning (no problems there). In reverse, I should be able to pull one lever back and leave one forward and get the same result??? In my mind, the controls are just mirrored from forward to reverse. I gave it a short try this morning only holding one lever back in reverse. I get a small pulling feeling like it wants to but it wont. Both sides do this, However, if I pull both back, it will roll right out in reverse. I feel like I am going it right but if it turns out to be user error, I owe you all!

It does sound like all bands and drums are good. You will get used to it and are correct in mirrored operation. In reverse the output shafts are just locked to the reverse drums. If your holding back hard enough to get strong reverse and jab a stick forward to lock that side up it will turn. With spring loaded levers parking in reverse is reccomended and locks the vehicle like park in any automatic transmission. Remember to hold levers part way back and shift with finger pressure only into reverse, don't grind it into reverse. A few hours in it and it will be second nature. Have fun.

+ Reply to Thread