1995 Max II grinds when shifting into gear???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1995 Max II grinds when shifting into gear???

1995 Max II grinds when shifting into gear???

Hey Everyone, I have not posted in a while, but have a question for the experts. I looked at a 1995 Max II (axles not splined) the other day with 90 hours on it. It has a 14hp Vanguard and is in pretty good shape for its age. When I test drove it, it ground the gears quite a bit as I was putting it into gear. It was kind of hard shifting. I have only driven 1 other Max and I do not recall it doing this. The seller is local and asking $3000. I also noticed it "shuttered" some when turning. Don't know if this is normal or not.

I originally was going to buy new, but have decided used may be the way to go and then upgrade to new later.

Any advice much appreciated. RR

If it's only grinding while trying to go into gear, high idle is most likely the cause. Shuddering on turns may or may not be an issue, if it was a high friction surface like the road I wouldn't be too concerned yet. If it's making noise turning in sand or mud I'd dig a little deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    If it's only grinding while trying to go into gear, high idle is most likely the cause. Shuddering on turns may or may not be an issue, if it was a high friction surface like the road I wouldn't be too concerned yet. If it's making noise turning in sand or mud I'd dig a little deeper.
    Thanks for the reply. It only grinds when shifting into forward gear, did not grind going into reverse. Once in gear it was fine. The surface was a lawn with lush grass. It kind of ripped up his yard a little, but he told me I could ride it in the yard. It probably was idling a little high. Not a smooth idle either- kind of a pulsating idle from low to high then back again repeating itself. I have heard other Vanguard engines and they all idle like that. The shuddering in the turns could be from me being a novice operator. Only driven one other Max.

The shuttering you're describing sounds like it could be band chatter. It is the sound that the bands make when they are slipping on the drum during a slow turn when they are not fully engaged or disengaged. There is an additive you can add to the T20 to reduce/remove that sound.

Thanks Mike, I was making a slow turn to try not to tear up the guys yard, so that kind of explains it. If I buy it, I will use the additive. I plan on going through it and changing all the fluids and doing a once over on everything. RR

When your shifting are the laterals in the neutral position. I'm sure it will grind if you are pushing them forward and trying to shift with a high idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toys4Me View Post
    When your shifting are the laterals in the neutral position. I'm sure it will grind if you are pushing them forward and trying to shift with a high idle.
    The laterals were indeed in the neutral position. I think the high idle was the problem. I made the guy an offer, but still waiting to here an answer. I really wanted to get a 2000 model or newer with the splined axles, but this machine is in good shape and does not look like it has been abused. I will buy it if he takes my offer. Thanks.

Just another piece of advice... Don't force the shifter into gear. This can wear out, or even break, the shift pins.
    Shake the machine about as you shift. This helps the trans go into gear.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread