Anti seize on drive chains.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anti seize on drive chains.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    rusty, i always wondered the same thing on o ring chain. do they keep out water and dirt , but not lubricant ? johnboy
    It stands to reason the o-rings keep lube in, dirt and water out. But nothing is perfect.
    Its also important to lube the outside of a chain and spricjets to reduce friction as the chain moves around the sprockets.
    We use a NAPA brand White Lithium spray. Works well.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Anti seize on drive chains

Quote Originally Posted by hwally View Post
    Me and my dogs kind of like that never seize look.

This is all I use now. In my opinion there is absolutly nothing better on the market for our climate.

http://lucasoil.ca/products/problem-...hain-lubricant

So you have two exactly the same rusted, stuck-fast, steel bolts. On the first you slather the outside with some anti/never seize. On the other you squirt with Gibbs brand mega penetrant or PB Blaster. Which do you think finally becomes unstuck? If one of these can penetrate over 1" of bolt threads to loosen the rust a simple 'O' ring isn't going to stop it. In this situation anti seize won't do diddly squat except look silvery or coppery. So if your intent is to maintain the exterior of your drive chain then go right ahead and use anti/never seize; it can't hurt.

My personal fave since 1975, that I used on my Yamaha Sc500a dirt bike's chain, has been Champion's Choice foaming Chain Lube in the red/white aerosol can. It seems to work the same on the 'O' ring chains of this new-to-me '99 Max II.

Has anyone ever broke an o-ring chain apart to see if there us still factory lube in there?
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

It's nice to see all the product to lube chains. My problem is I'm in Mexico and most of those products aren't available. One trick I've seen with anti-seize is heating it up to a liquid state and then dipping what ever you have in it. If you were to dip a chain in anti-seize in a liquid state it would cover it inside and out in a pretty silvery or coppery color. Just sayin'. My post here is just to discuss different ideas. Sometimes you have to be creative when you can't pop down to the local parts store and get what you're looking for.

I have used the grey/silver anti seize on my chains and my sprockets and here is what I found out. It makes the noise of the rotating mass quieter which was surprising. Noticed it right off because I have always hated the loud chain noise. Didn't notice any significant difference in lubrication so I started adding a thinner viscosity oil along the length of the chain and I "think" this helped to lube the chain because the chain began to run with more slack and looked sloppy. I think the anti seize helps to hold the oil in and on the chain longer and therefore more oil on the chain, for a longer time frame. It makes one heck of a mess and like mentioned earlier, it gets all over u and it a PITA to clean up...but I think it helps to slow down the wear on the sprockets. I have noticed a decrease in how fast they wear down. My environment is tough on the consumables and the anti seize helps for my application. Try it and see. It may surprise u, it may not. I still use it.

Thanks rcn11thacr, Your post was very thoughtful and informative. I like people who stop and think about what they're doing and aren't afraid to try new things. I have to be creative where I am because of the lack of options.

When I was young we raced enduro motor cycles. We use to melt down paraffin wax and add Gear oil. Then put our chains in while still hot and dig them out when it cooled down. It was a mess but the wax held the oil in and water and dirt out !
    Don't think it will work with the newer O ring Cains But did a Great job on standard chain !!

+ Reply to Thread