Anti seize on drive chains.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anti seize on drive chains.

Anti seize on drive chains.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used anti-seize lubricant as a chain lube? Here's what I found on Permatex's site: Permatex® - Cooper Anti-Seize Lubricants
    A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist. Temperature range -30°F to 1800°F (-34°C to 982°C). Provides good electrical conductivity. Meets Mil Spec A-907. Suggested applications: Threaded assemblies, slide fit assemblies, hinges, gears, chains and sprockets cables and sheaves, lever pivot points, rollers, oil-still header bolts, furnace equipment threads, retorts, kilns, ovens, etc., exhaust system bolts and studs, cylinder head gaskets and studs, turbine casing studs and marine and coal mining equipment; farm equipment, heavy equipment trucks, cars, industrial equipment, drawing and forming of metals. Seems like it would be pretty good and would definately stick.

In my line of work we have a saying. "If you get it on your hands, it will be on your dog before you get home".

Great stuff, but use it sparingly because it will get EVERYWHERE!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I know what you mean. I spent a lot of years building and restoring classic and antique cars. I've found a lot of unconventional uses for it. This is the first time I've had a 6x6. I bought it as a basket case so I'm studying the system and how all the pieces interact. I guess it's hard to get away from trying to upgrade and improve. I worked on crab boats up in Alaska and we used the heck out of never seize. I see some of the same marine looking corrosion on this machine. No place to weld on zincs so I'll get out the never seize. Me and my dogs kind of like that never seize look.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    In my line of work we have a saying. "If you get it on your hands, it will be on your dog before you get home".

Great stuff, but use it sparingly because it will get EVERYWHERE!
    LOL, so true

In any case, lube is lube. The chains need it.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Anti-seize lubricant is great for lubricating threads but I don't see it having any penetrating properties on roller chain. Having it smeared on the outside isn't doing the rollers/links any good. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by onefunzr2 View Post
    Anti-seize lubricant is great for lubricating threads but I don't see it having any penetrating properties on roller chain. Having it smeared on the outside isn't doing the rollers/links any good. Am I right?
    Probably, though it should keep it from rusting. A good chain lube is the way to go, regularly (if it's dry, make it wet).

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by onefunzr2 View Post
    How does any lube enter past the o-rings? In this case, it doesn't need to penetrate.
    Chains need lube on the as well, and on the sprocket teeth, to reduce wear.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

rusty, i always wondered the same thing on o ring chain. do they keep out water and dirt , but not lubricant ? johnboy

My chains aren't the o-ring type. I've looked at a lot of chain lubes and I'm wondering how they keep the lube on the chains when a chain in motion will tend to throw the lube off. I live in Mexico and they do have an Auto Zone in a nearby city. They sell something called chain lube, it comes in a spray can and doesn't seem much different than regular oil. The never seize is recommended for roller chains and sprockets. Perhaps never seize combined with a spray lube.

+ Reply to Thread