Reinforcement on Max II drive chain brackets & running hot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reinforcement on Max II drive chain brackets & running hot

Reinforcement on Max II drive chain brackets & running hot

I have a 1997ish Max II. I took it out this past weekend for the first time and had a blast. The terrain was rough and very bouncy on the 6x6.

-1 Issue:
    By the end of the day it seemed to be running hot and not up to its full potential. At one point it died and then would restart, but only run for maybe 30 seconds. We confirmed it was still getting fuel, but once you gave it throttle the machine would die and it wouldn't even stay idling. I let it cool for awhile and then it ran fine. Have others had similar issues with the 14hp vanguard? Have you done anything to allow more air circulation in the compartment?

-2Issue:
    I assume the bumpy terrain didn't help, but at the end of the day the rear right chain worked itself off. It started slapping several of the sprockets and shafts. I removed it and just limped it back on the trailer. After taking time to diagnose, I found that the left and right tensioner plates caused the top brackets to bend down and loosen the sprockets. The flat top rails bent down with the angle plate and stud. I hope this makes sense? Should be an easy fix, but was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? I may fab a custom bracket and angle iron plate across each.

anything you can do to beef up these machines helps !!! most of us have added our own modifications for better wear, etc. have fun j.b.

Sounds as if it may have been boiling the fuel or the cap isn't venting.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

A partially clogged jet would cause it to run lean and create the stall and heat issues
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The 14hp Vanguard i have was doing kind of that same thing. Are you using any stabilizer in your fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    A partially clogged jet would cause it to run lean and create the stall and heat issues
    My initial thoughts until he claimed it to have straightened out once it sat a while. A cleaning wouldn't hurt though.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Just straight 87 octane. Supposedly the motor was just rebuilt, from the guy I purchased it from. But I'll go ahead and do a thorough cleaning and see how that works.

Thanks!

Hi
    Had like/similar issues with my 1996 MAX II w/Vanguard 14. Found this link, Route6x6.com - 6 and 8 wheel ATV how to's - Vanguard Carburetor Cleaning, followed instructions and worked like a charm after, but I also had replaced all fuel lines, filter, pump, and drained and flushed tank. I used plenty of carb fluid in process. Figured in for a penny, in for a pound!

+ Reply to Thread