Max Buffalo with no power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max Buffalo with no power

Max Buffalo with no power

I just purchased a 2003 Max Buffalo. I am new to aatv ownership and know little about the t-20. It has 50 hours on it and has sat for a few years. It seems to drive fine on flat ground however I could not get it to drive up the ramp to the trailer I used to get it home. A friend pushed while I was driving it up the ramp to get it on. I have yet to really look into potential issues with the Buffalo and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking into the low power problem.

I have not done much to it yet. Before starting it I put fresh gas in it. The tank stank like very stale gas and there was only a few oz of old gas I could not drain out. I pulled the plugs and they appear somewhat fouled. So I will be getting new plugs. I will be changing the fluids also. Any other maintance situations would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I would also put a new belt on and clean the clutch faces.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

First question: were you pushing hard forward on the sticks, or relying on the springs to do it?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I was pushing on the sticks. Maybe not hard but I was pushing forward. Nothing sounded like it was slipping and the motor did not sound like it was working harder.

Just checked the range of forward movement on the sticks and they really do not move forward much. I would thing that the slight movement oould not move much back to the t-20 due to The slop in the rods. So what should the first adjustment be? How far forward should the sticks move on a properly adjusted machine.
    Last edited by Jraby; 09-22-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Try it again by pushing hard on the sticks like racerone3 mentioned.

Where are you located? Just curious?
    Check the belt also, it should just cover the driven clutch when engine is off.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I am located in western new York. I had some issues getting able to post to the form and have yet been able to figure out how to update my profile. To be honest it have no tried to hard to figure it out, have been messing with my Buffalo in my limited free time.

I think that the belt maybe just about 1\4 inch down on the clutch wheel when the motor is off. I will confirm this tomorrow

Thanks for the situations.

When you get it running get a tachometer and see what full throttle RPM is with the belt installed. It should pull 4000-4100 RPM if everything is correct.

Hi
    For my 2 cents....I am restoring a 1996 MAX II. When I got it, it had little to no power. I found a post (http://www.route6x6.com/howto/carbclean/index.html) and did a complete carb cleaning, replaced all the gas line, filter, pump. Drained and flushed the tank. Added a fuel cut off valve. When I was done, the engine ran fine.
    Last edited by hipowerone; 10-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.

I do not have the motor running 100% yet, but close. My issue does not appear to be a motor issue but a transmission issue. She seems to move fine on level ground but will not climb up an incline. I just ground down a scocket to adjust the tranny. We will see if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread