Splined axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Splined axles

Splined axles

Is it normal to have a 1/8 play forward and backwards in a splined axle and sprocket,or are they machined with no movement at all

as far as i know it is mine has a little play as well. i can amagine the age has an effect on how much play as well

I learned recently the splines on the sprocket tubes can wear out faster than the axle splines. There is a lot of torque forced on the splines during turns/braking.
    The sprocket tubes need greasing regularly via the zerk on the tube, sometimes hidden by the chains.
    My rear right double-sprocket completely wore through, becoming a free-wheel sprocket. It lacked grease. ( I didn't know about the zerk). I installed new ones (left and right) and greased them well.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

My max iv 2004 doesn't have Greece zerks on the tubes.
    Splined axles with set screws.I'm going to purchase new axles and sprockets for the rear with snap rings,will they already have zerks installed.

Grease damn auto correct

If you want to save some money you could switch the center and an outer axle and possibly move the third opposite to get the sprockets on good unwarn splines.

I believe the grease fittings are there to keep the axle from seizing on the axle and fill the set screw holes. They should not change spline wear imo..

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread