Restoring 1970's Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restoring 1970's Max IV

Restoring 1970's Max IV

Hi

I have a max IV which has given good service over the years on the hills of scotland, one thing i would like to do is replace the engine with a more powerful unit, at resent it has a 16HP vanguard, does anyone on this site know of an easy swap unit and where to obtain at a good price, or what i am looking at for shaft and keyway size ect,,,, ?

Thanks

Neil

Harbor Freight 22hp. Pull the 16, mount the 22 with all the old parts and enjoy. I love my max IV with the 22.

So it just a straight swap over ? Nothing else ? Maybe a feed for a fuel shut off solenoid ? Shaft and key way all the same ?

It does have electric fuel solenoid. You will have to either build your own exhaust or modify the stock harbor freight to exit to the rear. As far as mounting, shafts, keys and clutch its rip and replace. Here is what I did for the exhaust. I like things on the louder side.

Looks like this will be the winner then , just reading the reviews of the engine and one said that the high idle speed was an issue with a centrifugal clutch and the adjustment is sealed , did you experience the same ?

Thanks for all the help on this !

I put one in an Argo (which is more speed sensitive) and it idles and shifts fine, adjust it a tad and you should be good.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I run mine without a governor. The idle screw is under the air filter box. You remove the air filter and there is a plug you remove to access it. Mine idles at about 1100-1200. I have no problem shifting.

+ Reply to Thread