More Questions: Oil drawn up to air breather/filter; and battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Questions: Oil drawn up to air breather/filter; and battery

Yea thats it jus makin sure the one I took out looked fine but after changing it it cleared up the problem on another note have you got the called for oil viscosity in it in my efforts to stop the breather filling with oil I had went to a thicker oil which exasperated the problem,if with all you have done and the problem still persists then a cylinder leak down test is the only true test of a potential ring problem or a deeper concern Good luck.NCT

Seen this on new 18 hp Briggs climbing hills or at bad angles. A relocated breather to a valve cover is available
    Acta non verba

Good point on oil viscosity. I normally use a synthetic multi-grade, but this had just had the oil changed when I got it and I never thought to ask what grade was put in. While I have not got a lot of hours on it, for 1.5qts, I think I will drain, change filter, and put in new 5W-30 synthetic and see. I did take it for a couple 1/2 rides and there was only minimal oil in the air cleaner area, but that was still more than I would like to see. I will advise.

BTW, has anyone had a chance to address my question on correct battery type/size for this machine? Old man winter is rearing his ugly head (we actually had snow above 1500ft the other day, and snow showers today at 400 ft).

There is really only room in the battery box for a U11 style battery, I'm running the 350 or 375 CCA battery and that is about as high as you can get. Another option would be to relocate it to the rear over the right axle and go bigger.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Briggs and others came with a windage tray on engines that were used on ruff Terrain or steep angels. it installed on top of the oil pump pickup, keeps the rods from hitting the oil and throwing it up into the the breather hole on the top of the block.

Not saying that You need one, just that there are parts out there to solve the problem. a remote breather would help and is cheap n easy to install, I'd post a picture but the old photobucket site is not lettin' me in at the moment...

ArgoJim and NUBS, thanks for the replies. I was just curious why RI did not think to include "type" in their specification included with the User Manual. While when new, one knows the "type" as it is there. However, when used, it is a crap shoot as to what should be there. I like the idea of a possible larger, extended location battery. I may look into that as wiring that would not be an issue, and maybe I could get it setup so that I could easily attach a battery maintainer without having to pull the seat/floorboards. That was one reason I was following the "seat/floorboard modifications" thread. In cold weather and when leaving unit to sit for an extended period, I like to attach a battery maintainer, so that the rig will be ready to start when needed. There is nothing worse than a weak or drained battery on a bitter winter morning. My 4x4 tractor has a tank heater and battery maintainer.

wire a plug and extension to battery then change the clamps on battery charger and just plug in.

Here is a common seat/floorboard mod done by many I ride with, and myself. This was done by previous owner many years ago.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    There is really only room in the battery box for a U11 style battery, I'm running the 350 or 375 CCA battery and that is about as high as you can get. Another option would be to relocate it to the rear over the right axle and go bigger.
    I run an odyssey pc925 in all my machines. They are pricey unless you can get beat up ones from wrecked race cars for free... It is a nonspillable battery. I stand them on end in max and attex machines. I did have to build a different hold down in the maxII. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batt...925_series.htm
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread