More Questions: Oil drawn up to air breather/filter; and battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Questions: Oil drawn up to air breather/filter; and battery

More Questions: Oil drawn up to air breather/filter; and battery

1996 MAX II w/B&S 14HP Vanguard Twin:

I had read another thread, (http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-no-power.html), but there was no response or solution to his stated problem, so I will ask again.

I was getting oil drawn up through oil breather into air filter area. I replaced both the oil breather & gasket and the air filter & foam filter. While this seems to have helped some, does anyone have any ideas/insight as to why this might be happening. As for oil level being too full, no, I have checked and it is and has been just below the max line on the dipstick.

And secondly, as I do not know the age of the battery, I am thinking that I will replace it before winter. I am thinking of getting a heavy duty deep cycle battery to replace the current battery. As the manual only says "12V 250CCA", does anyone know the proper/correct "type/size" that is specified for the MAX II?

Once again, many thanks in advance!

As for the oil problem you might want to do a compression / leak down test .
    Sounds like to much Blow by ?

I vote for blow by. However, I recently saw this problem on a vertical shaft twin cylinder engine - Neighbor changed oil in his JD lawnmower and it started smoking. Let it burn the oil down to the bottom of the safe marks on the dipstick and it solved the problem.

Thanks for the idea and I will check it, however, I do not think compression is the problem, as the engine does not burn any oil (smoke, smell, exhaust residue) and the engine compression will retard the machine going down a fairly steep incline. I had originally considered a blocked PCV (oil breather) so the reason that I replaced the oil breather and gasket. Also, if the air filter were clogged/plugged, it could have caused some vacuum up the oil breather, so the reason I replaced the entire air filter. As I said, both fixes seem to have improved my problem, but I am still concerned as to why there is still some oil showing in the air filter area. I am also doing queries on the B&S site.

I'd check the compression as they will do that with a bent push rod. Too much compression has to go somewhere.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Had the same issue on a Briggs V Twin in a Argo once no other symptoms no lack of power the breather you replaced was it a complete new piece with a new reed type valve for lack of a better word when i replaced the assembly out I never had the problem again.NCT

Thanks, NCT, the new oil breather that I purchased was a B&S OEM replacement part, complete with new gaskets. I am hoping that between that and the new B&S air filter/foam filter, that my problem will be solved. If that solved your similar problem, then I am feeling better about my diagnosis and replacement parts fix. At the very least it should reduce my oil consumption. I did drive it a bit after the parts replacement and it did seem to have slowed oil flow to the air filter area, but I will not know for sure until I have driven it again under normal conditions. I have found little to nothing on the B&S site about similar issues. Either this is unique to the 6x6 arena or they do not publish everyone's problems.

That sounds good hipowerone, silly question, is your breather tube under the air filter bolt assy. and directed directly to the carb. opening as it should? Also are by chance over oiling the foam filter ( I don't use one as I had a lean issue with one) causing it suck some of the breather air?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hipowerone did the new oil breather have a reed style valve in it ?

ArgoJim: the oil breather & tube are on top center of engine, just below the air filter....the rubber hose between oil breather and air filter assy has a slight "s" shape and is correctly positioned and installed. There is a "formed/pressed" metal deflector inside the air cleaner assy that directs the oil vapor to the carb. No, the foam filter is not over oiled, as I do not oil those, while I know that you can. I find it cheaper and easier to just replace filters frequently.

NCT: I am not sure if it is a "reed" valve, but suspect that it is correct as it is B&S OEM part. There is a flat piece of steel held back by a spring behind a round hole in the unit.

+ Reply to Thread