Max iv diesel swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Max iv diesel swap

Yup i agree i could cut some weight if a wanted. But i am not concerned with the little bit of extra weight right now. May change my mind after driving it though we will see. Got the muffler mounted today just need to make a support bracket for it. Also got the axle flanges welded on. Didn't have my phone will get picture ls later on.

It sounds like you put some thought into position and weight, so that is good. With a lower center of gravity, the unit should be more stable both on hard ground and in the water.

Normally I would not have chimed in, but when it comes to an AATV, the amphibious part really is a stickler. Some may not have noticed, but RI and MAX made a pretty good deal of "weight" when they printed the owner manual specifications on pp 54-55. They list the dry GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT and the GROSS PERMISSIBLE WEIGHT IN WATER, and then go on to list accessory weights.

There is a definite reason for this. If you take the dry vehicle weight and then add liquids, and any changes in attached basic equipment (tires/wheels) and add all additional accessories, you will find that your maximum permissible load drops. First and foremost, how much fuel are you carrying? Gasoline is approximately 6 lbs per gallon, so just having a full fuel tank eats 30 lbs of your maximum permissible load weight. In water your maximum load is about 500 lbs for a MAX II and that is with no accessories or fuel. If you have a larger engine, tracks, winch, winch plate, windshield, roll bar and full fuel; your original on land 2 x 250 lbs passenger dry MAX II is now a wet 1 x 162 lb passenger MAX II in water! While you may be able to "load more", you seriously run the risk of making your AATV more unstable in water and you will quickly exceed the maximum water displacement and sink your toy! My neighbor learned this the hard way back in the 70's when he sank his newly acquired COOT trying to cross a small body of water with 4 persons on board.

I think without looking at my manual max iv load capacity in water is only 500lbs less accessories. So with 2 men and a roll cage you are possibly overloaded in the water. I am not planning to run it in the water much but want it to be capable of doing so if i need to. With the roughly 100lbs i will add i should be ok with me and my oldest son. Pa is a pain it must be registered as a boat to take it in any water other than a private pond and its a real pain if not impossible to register an aatv as a boat in pa. So water time will be minimal if at all

Have me more curious now. I think i will put it on the race car scales when done so i know for sure how much it weighs.

That makes a lot of sense. From an aviation point of view, doing a weight and balance before each flight, makes perfect sense. Depending upon what you load for gear, and who is riding, with an AATV it more sense before attempting any venture into water. No one could ever fault you for being careful.

20170116_220259.jpg
    20170116_220318.jpg
    Muffler and battery mounted. Just need to make a hold down strap for the battery. The seat frame also needs a little bit of "cleaning" up yet.

AWESOME JOB! It is really cool to see what the Guys and Gals come up with for these machines.

Well took a couple steps backwards the last few days. First i went to pick up the tranny and dropped it. Now the sprocket has 3/16 runout. Looks like i will be straightening it and welding it. Then i mounted the last 3 tires and one has a hole in the sidewall!! Brand new. so i called interco and got the run around then forwarded to someones voicemail. Needless to say i haven't heard anything back. So not impressed with them right now. The guy i talked to said it could probably be patched. Sorry i don't want to patch a brand new tire. Ok rant over

That sucks, on both fronts. I hope Interco does what's right and replaces the tire for you.

20170120_182324.jpg
    Interco did email me i think they will take care of it. Initially they thought it was a punture. So i sent them more pictures so they can see it better. Guessing i wont hear any more till monday. This is the hole though.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread