Belt Slippage? or Transmission Issue?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belt Slippage? or Transmission Issue?

Belt Slippage? or Transmission Issue?

Not ever having seen one of these or driving one of these before I purchased them almost a year ago, I don't know exactly how they are supposed to drive.

Here is what is happening that seems kind of weird. I can keep the transmission in forward, and the machine won't move until I give it the gas. I don't even have to move the sticks forward, just operate the gas. Also the machine won't move immediately until I rev the engine, and then it squeeks like the belt is slipping. It then runs fine until I need to stop and then try and go again.

What is happening?

Thanks

Judson

Sounds like belt to me. What machine and what engine does it have? If it's a max with the steering sticks spring loaded forward, it will go forward with throttle pressure. Have you driven it much?

Spray some parts cleaner and a little dry live into your clutches, tighten your belt a bit by loosening the motor mounts and pulling te engine towards the rear. You don't want it tight, maybe about 1.5 in deflection or so?
    It sounds like your clutch isn't grabbing till your pretty much wide open, which would indicate a loose belt or a sticky clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Sounds like belt to me. What machine and what engine does it have? If it's a max with the steering sticks spring loaded forward, it will go forward with throttle pressure. Have you driven it much?
    I've not driven it much simply because it has not been running well engine wise. It's a 1999 IV with an 18hp Vanguard. I haven't heard of sprung forward sticks, so I guess that is a possibility. Thanks

you might have glazing on the clutches where the belt rides if you do this will cause the squeal and slippage take some emory cloth and clean the clutch surfaces then wipe them clean as Rabbit said check your belt tension one other thing you have hold the sticks forward when driving to get full power

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit929 View Post
    Spray some parts cleaner and a little dry live into your clutches, tighten your belt a bit by loosening the motor mounts and pulling te engine towards the rear. You don't want it tight, maybe about 1.5 in deflection or so?
    It sounds like your clutch isn't grabbing till your pretty much wide open, which would indicate a loose belt or a sticky clutch.
    Ok, just making sure I understand you correctly; spray and clean and dry the clutches, then spray dry lube into the clutches. IF that doesn't work then try pulling the motor back to tighten the belt leaving about 1.5" of deflection.

I hope I got that right. Thanks.

If your belt is worn some you can set it at 1" deflection as the belt is not as wide as when new.

+ Reply to Thread