Is there a trick to changing drive belt on 950t

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a trick to changing drive belt on 950t

Is there a trick to changing drive belt on 950t

I need help! Im hoping someone has a trick to getting a new drive belt on a 2005 max iv 950t with the kawasaki in it?
    "We Got Hogs"

I know some guys remove the engine stand nuts so they can tilt the motor, Ive done this too but its actually a bigger pain in the butt.

What I do is put the belt over the primary then get it started on the secondary and grab both sides of the secondary and turn it by hand to roll the belt on(make sure your in neutral). You will have to give the belt a little twist once or twice to ensure it slips between the tub and clutch bolt but it will go. It's really very easy after you've done it 20 or 30 times lol

Quote Originally Posted by hangloosehogs View Post
    I need help! Im hoping someone has a trick to getting a new drive belt on a 2005 max iv 950t with the kawasaki in it?
    I've got the same machine. Unfortunately there's no quick way to do this. The newer models have a hole in the secondary to insert a bolt and open the secondary clutch. Since we don't have that luxury the best way I've found is to loosen the motor itself from the stand it sits, then slide the engine away from the clutch and pull the clutch off.the holes in stand are slotted. This will allow the clutch to drop down and loosen the belt. Put the new belt on then install the clutch. Make sure there's no shims under the motor. Shims by the way are how you tighten the belt. There's many different ways to twist,contort, cus, and swear to do this. But this is the best I've found.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Takes two people to fo it this way...
    The way we do it is to put the belt on the primary clutch first, then begin to fit/force it over the secondary. We use a flat crowbar to "twist" the belt over the clutch lip a bit to get it started. Don't scratch the clutch face though.
    As one person holds the flat bar the other wraps a quarter-inch rope around the belt one full loop, and pull it up hard, making the belt roll on the secondary (the rope fits into the grooves of the belt and "chokes/grabs it). You will have to readjust the rope each time you pull, as it will only move a few inches at a time. Readjust the flatbar as needed to keep the belt on the lip of the secondary (don't scratch the clutch face) It will pop off if you don't, but will eventually stay on once it gets rolling around.
    Continue pulling the rope, as you adjust it and the belt will roll over the secondary and fit right in. Once the belt begins rolling over the secondary the flatbar is no longer needed.
    It takes us a few minutes to install a belt this way.
    Loosing the mounting nuts might help a bit.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 11-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I have a 2006 MAX IV 950T and mine slipped on and off no problem without loosening the motor mounts. Pull the belt down on the primary and push it off the side of the secondary, once its on the edge of the secondary turn the clutch until it slips off, like changing a bicycle chain. . Make sure the machine is in Neutral and you may have to twist the belt where is passes between the clutch and body.

Thanks everyone for the reply's! I did end up getting it actually pretty easy to tell you the truth once i figured it out actually the toughest part is getting the belt past the the bolt on the clutch and the tub itself once past that you just need to get it started on the front side of the secondary and start walking the belt around on the pully and snap it goes right on! I do know one thing you should never have to unbolt the motor mounts just to change a belt and it should be a one person job! Changing a belt is something you def. should be able to do by yourself out in the field with no tools required I have now figured out how to get this job done!
    "We Got Hogs"

+ Reply to Thread