Sorry to bug

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sorry to bug

Sorry to bug

Sorry to bug, but I'm new to these things. Just got a new to me max2. I got it because it has a solid run and the gears looked mint, and it has a newly rebuilt 16hp Vanguard. I pulled it apart further after coming home and have a few questions.

There is no wiring at all, and the motor wasn't mounted, is there a wiring harness available for ignition? I started it there by pull string.

What are my options for wheels? I'll maybe use this 2% to swim, and even then will be in a very slow current river, so I could just float it until I get traction. I will however be using it in wet heavy sand, dirt, and rocks. Mostly to go from puddle to puddle down the river after it's gone down duck hunting. I am leaning toward Kenda Bearclaws, but would like to go bigger. Can't seem to find 9" or 11" wheels in 5x4.5 bolt spacing.

Is there a primer on the T20 or driving this thing anywhere? The transmission fluid was a little low, but clean as could be. It feels like the sticks will barely move forward at all, and only move backward. (Granted, there is no power to it)

Anyone put a foot throttle in?

Sorry for all the questions. I've searched for a few days and there is so much info here using the search function is even hard! I'm excited for this thing. They're very rare here in Central California.

I believe either argo or mudd ox sell 9" 5 on 4.5 wheels. As far as the sticks they have springs that hold them forward in the max's. Some people take the springs out then you would have the same travel forward and back. Someone on here added a steering wheel and a foot throttle but i don't remember who. I would think a foot throttle would be tough when you get bouncing around.

Congrats on your find Snaps. You may be able to find a wiring harness and other parts (including rims) at max6x6.com. I'm sure there are other sites that will sell rims. As far as a wiring harness, if you can't find one to purchase building your own is not a big deal.

I"m not sure what biggest tire/wheel will fit your machine. Just remember, the larger the diameter tire you have the more torque required to turn it. Tires - you will find yourself pretty limited in the 8 inch size. I am a new 6x6 owner and really struggled with the type of tire to buy. I wound up with the Goodyear Rawhide III and it performs just fine. So far the only time I've been stuck is in pudding mud, and no tire can overcome being bottomed out in pudding. I wish they swam a little better, but oh well. You will have to be careful getting into current with just tires for propulsion - you can get pushed into places you don't want to be.

There is some guidance in the manuals section of this site for your t20. It's a simple transmission.

As for a foot throttle, I thought about doing that but 2 things stopped me: 1) it would have interfered with removing my floorboard, and 2) with no suspension in these machines I figured it would be hard to hold a constant engine speed.

Post some pics and let's get to work!

Gave the kids a few cans of rustoleum flat camo green paint and let them go to town on it today. Led headlights and light bar is ordered. Haven't decided on what winch yet, I'm going to put a trolling motor I have off of the winch bracket I think. The fuel tank has rust in it so I'm going to put a flat fuel cell in the bed above the engine and build a tilting bed over the engine and cell (it's cut out pretty big to clear the engine anyway. I got some nice Haley Davidson dual exhaust pipes, so I may end up throwing duals on it, mounted outside the body. A little bling never hurt anybody. 900d Realtree water resistant cordura is on its way to build seats. A guy from work tinkers with ATV's so I'm thinking I'm just going to have him build a wiring harness and wire everything up. I think I'll get a decent sized deep cell battery for it all. D mount it where the old fuel tank was.

I was adding things up earlier and think I'll keep the 22" tires on the 8" wheels for now. Save some cash to finish out the rest nice, and when it comes time for new tires go up to 25" on bigger rims. We don't have really nasty mud here, hell we're in a 5 year drought. The river is really slow and has 30-50' ponds that puddle up on it through the hunting season, those are all I'll really need to swim with it. If I'm in a hurry to get across them I'm doing the whole relaxing thing wrong.

What lube do you all suggest for the chains? We have a ton of silicon lube we use for the packing shed chains. Would that work?

I ended up ordering the Carlisle Striker tires. Got a deal I couldn't resist. Picked up the max and rested the front tires on a sawhorse and trained the transmission. The fluid was clean, but not the correct ATF. Flushed it a few times and refilled it. Crossing fingers it will be ok. Gutted more stuff out and ordered a 5 gallon generator fuel fell that will fit exactly where I want in the bed next to the cut out section for the motor.

Today's questions.
    Does anyone know where I can find a motor mounting plate, or have a photo I can go off of to build my own? I was going to use unistrut, but didn't like how high it put the motor.

My Vanguard 16hp was not the original motor, so I've got to do the linkage myself. Anyone have a photo of their non-stock throttle linkage?

What batteries are people running with more accessories? When we head out early morning spraying or hunting it's dark as can be, so I'll be running my fair share of lights, winch, and eventually a trolling motor. I've got a fused control panel coming. Since I'm moving the fuel tank to the back I'll be ok with some weight up front from a balance point of view. Anyone with experience with the Wallyworld deep cycle marine batteries?

Are headers available for the Vanguard V-twin? My son is dead-set on running the harley pipe, so I figure I'll appease him. It fits quite nice in place of the stock muffler.

Check out the Max II Engine Replacement article in the How-To section of the site. There is a photo of the engine sitting on the ground outside of the machine that should show you the mounting plates necessary. They shouldn't be too hard to make using your engine and the frame to measure the bolt mounting holes.

For your throttle linkage, check out the Max ATV website. I think there were some close-up photos there. You can also look for the pink engine shroud photos in my Max IV gallery: Mid Engine Max IV - Amphibious ATV Pictures I had a couple of close-ups of a non-stock way to mount the linkage.

Headers are available for Briggs motors but you may just want to build everything yourself since you are going to have to fit the pipe anyway. I don't know if you plan on having an external or internal exhaust on the Max but be careful of heat build-up under the top when you design/build your exhaust. Here's my Max IV exhaust that I created by purchasing some pre-bent pipe and welding together:

Thanks for the info Mike. I think I'm going to mount the Harley muffler I have in the stock muffler spot, haven't decided if I want to run the dual exhaust yet. My son says I should since they look like "jet engines". I started a thread in the engine forum because it looks like I got screwed with a good engine that the previous owner ground down to accept a taper, then put what I think is a fixed equipment drive pulley. Adding up the cost to swap out the crank it looks like I'm in the market for a new motor. Probably go with the 22hp Predator. My wife is going to kill me.

Things are slowly moving along. I noticed I'm missing 1 chain guide/tensioner thing. I come from a background in bike racing and used roller guides on downhill bikes. I know they make them for bigger chains. Does anyone use a different style than the stock flat guides?

Also, what batteries are people running? I replaced the completely rusted out fuel tank and relocated a 5 gallon generator tank to the cargo area on the passenger side. I'm putting a golf cart bed over it, so didn't really lose any space. I was thinking I'd mount two batteries (to carry the load of lights, winch and possibly a trolling motor, on either side of the "fender wells" up front. I just didn't know if there's anything specific I should look for or if I can just run a few size 24 deep cycle (I'm planning on shorelining the max2 in the garage)

The only assistance I can offer is with your battery concerns. My Max II w/ 18hp Briggs engine has the optional winch. I was using it to pull fence posts and it would run down the 200 CCA battery that came with it when I bought it; it's a 1999 model and I'm the 4th owner so this cannot be the OEM battery.

So I went to a local store named the Battery Warehouse and bought a 410 CCA heavy duty one made by Exide...same garden tractor size, same terminals, just more internal plates. And a better warranty than any of the others.

Pulling those fence posts was a one time deal. But now the winch pulls up my optional 60" snow plow. No complaints at all. And the only thing that changed was the battery, the Briggs alternator still puts out its 16 amps.

I had other choices between the 200 and 410 batteries but for the slight extra $$$ I went with the 410. No one ever griped they had too much battery, did they?

+ Reply to Thread