Building a cloth top and storage for Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Building a cloth top and storage for Max IV

storage for max iv

[QUOTE=

I still need to make a storage cover for it. I was thinking of using 18oz vinyl coated polyester, like the over the road trailers use. It's very tough just not sure how it will hold up to the cold temps. Anybody have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Before I bought my Argo avenger in 2007 I had put a roof on my 10 foot trailer to carry my Max IV. I bought a vinyl tarp made for over the road trailers and it worked great . I used self drilling screws and washers to fasten it down well. The trailer was too short for the Argo so I sold it to a friend with a six wheel Bigfoot. He is still using that trailer today with his six wheel Scout. That is a good tarp.

Thanks for the reply, thats what I will use.
    Going to make a rear floorboard next. I have to remove the front seat storage box to remove the stock floorboard.
    With the floorboard out, the rear storage box slides forward than I have access to the battery.
    I made a cardboard pattern and fights snug. Looking for a better fit so stuff won't fall into the chains.
    I'm thinking of aluminum for the floor?

You can get 2mm diamond tread aluminum for not much money, it's easy to work with, shape, and cut, It's plenty strong for floorboards, and has a neat appearance.

2mm is about .080, I was thinking of using 1/8" tread plate but if .80 or 2mm will work that would be better.
    Thanks for that bit of info!

Hideous 4x4, great looking machine. I am new to this, just bought a 2001 Max IV last weekend and can't wait to get going on it. I would sure like some info on your windshield, such as size, where to get material, framing, cost and what ever else such as a closeup picture would really be deeply appreciated. Get forum with great guys. Thanks, Gene Wellman from Colon, MI. known as Moldman

Thanks Moldman. I'm new to this also, we had a Hustler in the 70's but I've forgot what little I knew about it.
    Yes this is the place to learn about AATV's, some very knowledgeable folk's here. I for one have learned a lot from them.
    As far as getting better pictures and sizes that will have to wait. I moved the max outside to make room for the trailer I'm building and
    moved the buggy in to put tracks on it.
    The material is called Strataglass, I have always bought seconds, I gave $185.00 for 1 sheet. Your Ships Store is where I got it. Factory Seconds | Your Ship's Store
    The only reason I went with it is that everything has to fit into the max for the trip to the cabin and for storage. I would have used hard coated lexan but no place to store it.
    Hope this helps.

I am located in the heart of rv country, hundreds of manufactures and surplus shops. I have talked to several locals in the industry and got some ideas of rv glass and golf cart windshields that are D.O.T. certified, made just like a car windshield. Can get new folddown golf cart D.O.T. glass for approx. $75-$125, would need to make a frame, working on size now. Just ordered a 7'x14' tandem axle trailer with an extra 12" in height. Won't do much with Max until I get trailer, takes 4-5 weeks.

When I bought the Max it came with the factory windshield, roll cage, custom top and a rear rack. I had to sell all of it to make it fit at the storage facility. They were to tall to fit.
    I didn't want to run it with a windshield all the time. If I had an Argo or MaxII a fold down windshield would have worked. I have to be able to carry everything on the Max to the cabin.

You have done some seriously good workmanship on your Max, it looks really fantastic!

Thank you Dozerlarry.

+ Reply to Thread