Building a cloth top and storage for Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Building a cloth top and storage for Max IV

I've been running the max around every chance I get and everything is working ok except for some noise in the drivetrain. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the t-20 and is band chatter. 98% of the time it's when I turn left. I searched and someone said to stop at the top of a hill, shut the engine of and brake with the t-20 as you go down. I did that and it chattered all the way down. I also read that it won't hurt a thing, but it made me a little uneasy about heading up to Alaska and not knowing for sure. So last night I pulled the t-20 and opened it up. The bands were red and in great shape around .030 to .035 thick, the drums showed no marks from the bands and were like a mirror, the teeth look good on the gears. There was a small amount of sludge that resembled anti seize in the bottom of the case.

Now I'm not sure where to go from here, if I put it back together its still going to chatter and I don't like having to explain to everybody that rides in it when they give me the deer in the headlights look that its normal and won't hurt a thing!

I thought I remembered someone said that you could rough up the drums with sandpaper not sure what to do to the bands.
    Any thoughts would help a lot! Thanks

I can get pics if that will help.

Use 4oz of limited slip additive when you put the ATF back in the T20 and it will help silence the chatter if it bothers you.

Mike, I've have been using the additive every time I changed the oil, last time I used type F with 4oz of Trans-X Posi-Trac with no change. When it chattered mostly when I turned left, I thought there might be something wrong inside the t-20. Other than glazed drums, I found nothing wrong that I could see. I picked up some LS2 limited slip additive made
    by BG. I searched for the post about deglazing the drums with emery paper but could not find it. I think msafi65 posted it. Anyway I chucked them in the lathe and sanded the mirror finish, not sure if I sanded enough or not. They still shine but just not like a mirror.
    I checked the bands a little closer and most run .038 with one band down to .030 in one spot. I think there still usable down to .015, so they should have plenty of life in them for a machine that will only get used once a year for around 25 miles.
    The Max has 241 hrs on it

We usually have some trees to clear off the trail to the cabin on the first trip in. So a chainsaw is a must, I made this chain guard to hold the little chainsaw. It's 2 pieces of aluminum with a strip of oak to hold them apart.

I have the t20 parts so I should get it up and running this weekend.

Dang if I didn't get sidetracked again, rebuilt our 1981 Ski Doo élan. Got the t20 back together and it's like a new machine.
    It's so quiet now, no chatter at all. It was either the glazed drums or the gunk in the bottom of the case. Not sure what the stuff was.
    It looked and had the texture like anti-seize. Anybody have any ideas on what it was?

Got it all dressed up and took it for a spin around the yard.

Looks great. I'm glad you got the T20 sorted. Now you can go have some fun.

You did a great job! I love your trailer.

Thank guys
    Sure getting excited about taking it up to AK and see what it will do!

This thread has a ton of excellent information for people who want to do these modifications. Nobody sells these ad-dons anymore. You could probably make a ton of money manufacturing these in a kit. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks fisheyes. As I've said before this forum as lots of talented and knowledgeable people. They sure helped me out with some of my problems.

+ Reply to Thread