74 max 2 chain and sprocket upgrade ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 74 max 2 chain and sprocket upgrade ???

74 max 2 chain and sprocket upgrade ???

Ok guys a few questions about changing the #40 chain and sprockets to #50 chain and sprockets and will it interfere with the brake drums and such?? We're thinking about swapping thses sprockets out and looking for any advice before we start buying parts.
    Thanks for any input on this!!
    Dave Phelps

Racers don't need brakes. They only need extra strong throttle cable and hard grip to keep it wide open.

50 chain will be fine. The only problem is you have to change the chain adjusters

Quote Originally Posted by frabbit View Post
    Racers don't need brakes. They only need extra strong throttle cable and hard grip to keep it wide open.
    lolol yes frabbit you are correct!! but this is my buddys machine and the sprockets are iffy at best and we discussed a 50 chain sprocket and chain swap and was hoping someone out there in the 6x6 world has done or tried this already.
    I've come to the conclusion that my body may not be able to take me driving a racer!!! Ya know old and fat!!
    Dave Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by egoperf View Post
    50 chain will be fine. The only problem is you have to change the chain adjusters
    egoperf do you happen to know the tooth size on a 50 chain sprocket compared to a 26 #40 sprocket?? And change adjusters how?
    thanks

Does he want to trail ride or race?.....Help him out, it's need to know. Sorry,went to look in the garage. We did one of grandkids, can't see in there yet
    Same with the still half full trailer. Just moved in Nov.1. will try to find out.

My old II is a 74and I just installed a newer set of sprockets and tensioners for the wheel chains. I'm not sure if all that is different on tensioners is the slide block. I can't find any # 40 tensioners in the spare parts pile to check out. Maybe someone else knows if the rub blocks are the only difference.

It has to do with the rub block. The #50 is Wider than #40 chain.
    That's the only dif .

Wedge are you talking about the old style, that bottom of chain BB rides on? Tom put adjuster sprockets similar to rims/max4s.

I was referring to the Nylon blocks that the chain rides on. The #50 take a wider block as it is wider than #40 chain
    The max II used them on the bottom pulling UP in the slack side of the chain.
    If your running a sprocket then you need a #50 sprocket over the #40.
    I am not sure exactly what he is using ?

+ Reply to Thread