Max IV 950t Battery upgrade???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV 950t Battery upgrade???

Max IV 950t Battery upgrade???

I have a 2005 max IV 950t with the 27hp kawasaki and am wondering about upgrading my battery I live in northern Minnesota and when it gets cold the stock little battery that came in it just doesn't seem to have the juice to turn it over fast enough to start! It does turn it over but not for long and it wont start so I'm wondering if i can just put a regular car battery into it to have more cold cranking amps! Also Does anyone have any tricks for cold starts in the max IV other than a better battery just doesn't seem to want to start the best in the really cold even with choke on and when using it for deer hunting and ice fishing it kind of worrys me if i let it sit too long !!

Thanks Adam
    "We Got Hogs"

I would try an Optima Gel battery. Won't have to worry about spilling and thy are very Tuff Strong battery's !

I've got the same engine in mine and yes it's extremely cold blooded. I built a storage box next to the engine and put a full size battery in it. When it's below zero it cranks over way too long before it fires. I just cleaned the carb I'll see if that makes a difference. I worry about burning up a stater it's so hard starting.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I was thinking about putting a primer bulb in the fuel line wonder if that would help? Or making an easy access for a quick shot of starting fluid!
    "We Got Hogs"

My 1996 MAX II with B&S 14HP Vanguard Twin also starts hard when it is cold. I have started using "ether" when starting and totally solved the problem. I get unit all ready to start...Key in, choke on, brake set, and then I open engine compartment and air cleaner cover, give it a quick squirt, not much, and close up air cleaner and start and it works fine...while it warms up under choke, I button the engine back up and get ready to ride. By that time, it is warm enough to open choke and head out. Mine does not care if it is 30 or 0, it starts hard below 35F and the ether fixed that.

Smile

Last time I saw ether used on a gas engine it blew the head gaskets out. I would be cautious, but it's your machine.

Too many times people think you should "inject ether" directly into the carburetor throat. That is not what I do. Notice I said I "removed the air cleaner cover" and I spray "a quick squirt" directly onto the air cleaner filament. This way, a small amount of ether is mixed with the air/fuel mixture. This only makes a slightly more rich mixture that will ignite at a lower temperature. Not enough to blow any head gaskets, but enough to help start a cold engine.

I know several folks with large motorcycles and jetskis, that use these:
    Alien Motion Lithium Battery - LiFePo4 Lightweight Power Sports Battery

If you are having cold weather start problems. I you like to add, your engine oil maybe a little to heavy. Perhaps you need 5W or 10W oil.

I have installed engine heater on my Kawasaki and can plug in for about an hour in -30 weather and still start easily. I'm a believer in the odyssey battery. It's also a gel cell but have proven to be a great cold weather battery.

+ Reply to Thread