Looking for info on MAX running gear for a project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info on MAX running gear for a project

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Sounds like the drive train from my Alsport Tracker. The steering mechanism will disengage the inside track when turning. It also has dual foot brakes to brake the inside track in a turn.
    I googled the Alsport Tracker, a very different looking snowmobile. Its a two seater twin track machine, very need. I never heard of it, only the Raider twin track rig. So your saying the running gear in this rig will disengage the inside track when turning and if needed you can brake just one track? Can you share photos of the running gear and how it works?

I am wondering if the transmission in the Surbar 660 I am going to use is a limited slip and if I can just keep and use its engine to power the rig. I could put independent braking on the rear wheels and then run chains to two more wheels in front of it. Would need to get rid of the suspension....

Hmm I guess if someone could explain how limited slip trannys work and how to test if one is limited slip.

Thanks for the idea guys!

I think for your application you would be better off to use the rear open differential from the subaru to power the tracks from the rear and just replumb the rear hydraluic brake lines to cutting brake handles inside the cab. Then just drive it as a normal vehicle and apply left or right brake to decrease turning radius when required.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    I think for your application you would be better off to use the rear open differential from the subaru to power the tracks from the rear and just replumb the rear hydraluic brake lines to cutting brake handles inside the cab. Then just drive it as a normal vehicle and apply left or right brake to decrease turning radius when required.
    Hi so I want to base it off of a Subaru Sambar which has a 660cc engine in it. Its the correct width for our trail system. Its a power unit IE the transmission is integral to the motor but I do not know if it is a limited slip transmission or not. The truck does not have a differential in it the motor/power unit is in the rear and CV joint connected axles come out of it directly to the wheels. I wasn't planning on using the engine but if it is a limited slip system it would be easier to use it.

Bump, any thoughts folks?

Thanks

~ Phil

Jack up one side of the machine and see if the wheel spins. It is probably a differential if it was made to go on any pavement.

If it is a limited slip unit I would think turning radius is suffer greatly unless you come up with a way to uncouple the inside drive for turning. Hope for an open differential.

Ok thanks guys, so if I jack up one rear wheel and can spin it with the other side wheel stationary that means it is usable?

What is the difference with a limited slip vs an open differential and how can I tell the difference?

The idea will be to put a brake on each side that is independently controlled so I can intentionally stop/slow the inside track to assist in turning.

Thanks

~ Phil

Quote Originally Posted by mpilihp View Post
    Ok thanks guys, so if I jack up one rear wheel and can spin it with the other side wheel stationary that means it is usable?

What is the difference with a limited slip vs an open differential and how can I tell the difference?

The idea will be to put a brake on each side that is independently controlled so I can intentionally stop/slow the inside track to assist in turning.

Thanks

~ Phil
    Best test is to jack up both sides and spin the input. When you turn the input both axles should rotate in the same dirrection, if you hold one of them stationary while you continue to spin the input the oppoiste side axle will start to turn the other dirrection if it has an open diff. If you are unable to hold the one side stationary while you spin the input then you have a limited slip.

An open differential will send power to the path of least resistance, if the resistance is equal then both sides get equal power. If one side becomes more difficult to turn (ie brakes applied) then the open differential will bias power to the opposite side with less resistance. Think of a 2wd vehicle in the mud or on ice, one tire will spin free with an open diff while the other tire with the traction remains stationary. The only way to get that stationary tire moving (and gain forward momentum) would be to slow down the free spinning tire via traction or application of brake on that side to force the stationary tire into rotation.

A limited slip differential will "try" to transmit equal power to both axles regardless regardless of traction, with a limited slip differential both tires will spin in the mud or on the ice. If you use a limited slip diff you will either burn up the clutch pack in the differential or eat your steering brakes up at an alarming rate. There will be lots of heat too.

Make sure the vehicle is in neutral or it won't spin (also make sure the vehicle won't roll). If you can spin one wheel freely its an open differential. "Freely" is a tricky term, because you will have to spin hard enough to overcome the friction of a dragging brake and all the bearings and gears through the differential and into the transmission. If you can spin one wheel with great difficulty its a limited slip, probably with bad clutches. If you can't spin one wheel then it's 100% positive traction. I don't think you will find a full-time 100% positive traction automobile differential unless its been modified. Some are lockable, meaning the 100% positive traction can be turned on or off (electronically for some Toyota's, mechanically for some GM's).

You can tell the difference as I explain above. The difference lies in the spider gear setup. An open differential has free-spinning spider gears. If you jack up both rear wheels, put the vehicle in park, and spin one back wheel the other will counter rotate, and they will both be fairly easy to spin. This is an open differential. A limited slip has a mechanism (clutches) that provide significant resistance at the spider gears and ultimately delivers more power to the wheel with lesser traction. Search youtube and you can understand this a whole lot better than I can explain it.

I think you did a better job explaining it than I did dirtdobber

+ Reply to Thread