Looking for info on MAX running gear for a project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Looking for info on MAX running gear for a project

I think you did a better job explaining it than I did dirtdobber
    I wouldn't go that far.

Thanks guys, so the truck is 4WD so it probably is not an open diff and it sounds like using a limited slip and applying brake to one side will damage it. The truck is buried under 2 ft of snow right now so will have to wait till spring to actually test but Ill ask on the mini truck forum and see if someone knows.

Another though I had was to go with two smaller snowmobile engines, one each powering a track and use the existing snowmobile chain cases with reverse gear in it. It would be tricky to synchronize the throttles but I have seen a couple two engine two track sleds so it can be done. Benefit of this is simplicity, availability of the parts (I have snowmobile engines I could use on hand.) And if there was a way to have a coupler between the two track drives, I could If one engine died, couple the tracks together and be able to limp home, would not steer well but could at least get out of the woods.

My issue here is figuring out the gearing to adjust for now having 21 in wheels instead of a track. I would have to gear it down but by how much?

Thanks ~ Phil

I'd be willing to bet that it is most likely an open diff, they are the cheapest to build, most reliable and require the least amount of service....Ideal for a utility vehicle like the Sambar. I'd just want to make sure it is infact open before investing to heavily in the project.

Ok thanks, so I did some reading up on the different types of diffs and based on what both of you said and what the writeup said I wonder if it is what I want.

What I read about open diffs is they are not ideal for off road ie poor traction environments, as soon as one can slip that side gets all the power. So this will be used in snow and I don't want to have one track slip and it gain all the power, this could cause me to get stuck say on a hill. Ill be towing a snow grooming drag, very heavy load...

There are ASV's and Thikol's for sale all over, saw a ASV a while back for under 5000, 3200 sticks in my head.

You want the cheap way to do it? Yes I know, so get 2 old snow mobiles and make a frame work tying them together, place your cab on the frame work, using the tied together steering skis steer with your feet or using electric power steering from a side by side( perhaps your most expensive part), one throttle in each hand preferably boat style will control each track for variable speed light turns assisted by steering with skis, hand brake on each throttle handle will control hard turns. If you want 4 stroke do that.

Done. Perfect no, but done.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by mpilihp View Post
    Ok thanks, so I did some reading up on the different types of diffs and based on what both of you said and what the writeup said I wonder if it is what I want.

What I read about open diffs is they are not ideal for off road ie poor traction environments, as soon as one can slip that side gets all the power. So this will be used in snow and I don't want to have one track slip and it gain all the power, this could cause me to get stuck say on a hill. Ill be towing a snow grooming drag, very heavy load...
    All Argos (except those with the Admiral tansmission) have open differential transmissions. You are building a tracked vehicle not a 4x4 truck, I seriously doubt track slippage is going to be any real concern. IF you ever find yourself in a situation where track slippage does occur and is causing you greif you simply apply the brakes to the side that is slipping to force power back over to the side with traction. You can limit the slip using the steering brakes.

I honestly think an open diff is the way to go, you may give up a slight amount of ultimate capability but you will gain reliability using an open diff.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    There are ASV's and Thikol's for sale all over, saw a ASV a while back for under 5000, 3200 sticks in my head.

You want the cheap way to do it? Yes I know, so get 2 old snow mobiles and make a frame work tying them together, place your cab on the frame work, using the tied together steering skis steer with your feet or using electric power steering from a side by side( perhaps your most expensive part), one throttle in each hand preferably boat style will control each track for variable speed light turns assisted by steering with skis, hand brake on each throttle handle will control hard turns. If you want 4 stroke do that.

Done. Perfect no, but done.
    Hi Im looking to make a smaller version of a ASV truck. that will not fit on all our trails, too wide. Ive thought about the idea of using sleds but I rather like the idea of large balloon tires with tracks on them and being able to take the tracks off and use it in the summer.

Thanks ~ Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    All Argos (except those with the Admiral tansmission) have open differential transmissions. You are building a tracked vehicle not a 4x4 truck, I seriously doubt track slippage is going to be any real concern. IF you ever find yourself in a situation where track slippage does occur and is causing you greif you simply apply the brakes to the side that is slipping to force power back over to the side with traction. You can limit the slip using the steering brakes.

I honestly think an open diff is the way to go, you may give up a slight amount of ultimate capability but you will gain reliability using an open diff.
    Ok thanks for the feedback, I did learn that the Subaru Sambar truck has an open diff so it is a possibility. This summer Ill be seeing if the engine can be fixed and if so Ill try that, if not the engine has to go and figure out a way to do it with an all new running gear setup.

Thanks

~ Phil

+ Reply to Thread