New MAX II owner questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New MAX II owner questions

A Big Max of that era would have had 50 chain to the axles, your upper body looks to be ABS?, the axles are probably gusseted and adapted as I bet that machine came with 3 hole balloon tires originally.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

If it originally came with 3 lug rims it definitely has 5 lugs now. The upper has a few holes/cracks in it and I initially thought it was fiberglass but it's definitely a plastic. I do not know though the textural differences between ABS and HDPE plastics. I'll measure out the chains tonight or tomorrow.

I also noticed it has the U shaped band connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    In the case it is a 440 Kohler, what is a good part number and good source for a carburetor rebuild kit? And are they supposed to have governors on them?
    Found a manual online that looks to cover 99% of this engine and determined I have the HR carburetor. I also determined the lines going to the carburetor are not hooked up properly. The impulse port is routed back to the gas tank's return and the impulse port on the block is capped off.
    http://www.vintagesnow.com/Engine_ma...woStrokeSM.pdf

Found a universal HR carburetor rebuild kit on Amazon and the pictures of the gaskets in the manual match up with the ones on the ad so for $20 I have it on the way.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping a good rebuild of this thing and hooking up a choke cable will bring this thing back to life. I'll start a proper project thread when I rebuild the carb.

An HR kit is going to be for a Tillitson carb.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

That's what it was looking like to me too. Another one of it's mysteries? It clearly says Minkuni on the carb, but I cannot find any Minkuni that looks like it, but the HR/Tillitson carb visually matches up with the shape, ports, jet screws, etc. Confusion runs high here, but it will not stop progress!

Hmm, looking at the manual some more, it appears I am missing the "idle jet screw". Think that would be a good reason it idles/runs like crap?

The hole on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

A mikuni bn 44 is only model that uses an idle screw from what I've read. Is this hole threaded????
    Good luck with it!! It will be fast!

Quote Originally Posted by dave phelps View Post
    A mikuni bn 44 is only model that uses an idle screw from what I've read. Is this hole threaded????
    Good luck with it!! It will be fast!
    Does look like a BN after looking around, kit found Winderosa 462140.

I picked up a BN kit too. One of them ought to work when I get some time to pull it apart.

I rebuilt the carb this week, it is definitely a Mukuni Round BN carburetor. It was perfectly clean on the inside, so hopefully simply re-gasketing/o-ringing it will make a difference. The mystery hole is indeed unthreaded and doesn't require a needle, but one of the needles was missing the washer that helps compress/seal the o-ring to the body, so that may or may not have been an issue, but in either case it won't be one now.

The more I'm diving into it, the more I believe a significant part of the running issue was with the mis-plumbing of the fuel lines. The impulse line was ran to a gas tank return port (and capped on the engine), so the fueling was dependent on gravity and with the check valves in the carb body and relatively low fuel level in the tank, I bet it didn't run well.

I picked up a choke cable and evacuation pump, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to hook up the choke and change out the transmission fluid just so I know it's topped off and fresh. Fun fun!

+ Reply to Thread