New MAX II owner questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New MAX II owner questions

New MAX II owner questions

Hello, the search function seems to be broken for me (I get an expired page error), and I have a few basic questions.

I just picked up a MAX II with a 2-stroke Kohler engine in it and have a few questions.

Where is the serial number located? That way I can better pin down the year it was built and the other attributes that come with that.

I haven't seen anything that indicated that the MAX came with a Kohler 2-stroke so I'm a bit confused, was it an option? I'm fairly certain it's a 440.

In the case it is a 440 Kohler, what is a good part number and good source for a carburetor rebuild kit? And are they supposed to have governors on them?

How many amps does the charging system put out? I am considering putting fuel injection on it and will need to run a high pressure fuel pump and few other electronics. Plus I'd like to add some charging ports for phones, GPS's, etc.

What is the preferred method of cleaning/degreasing the bottom shell? I'm considering tilting the front up on ramps and just power washing it front to back.

Thanks!

Where is the serial number located?
    On my '99 model the serial # is on the dash plaque to the right of the key switch. Somewhere on this site is a thread that matches serial #'s with model years.

Hmm, there definitely isn't any plaque on the dash anymore if there was one. I finally go the search function working and will be inspecting the frame for a number. I think it's been re-painted as well as has some grime around plenty of it so it may take some scrubbing to find it.

Often times there is a plaque, to the left of the driver, on the upper tub body....a photo of my 1996 that may help you locate....it is possible that something fishy has happened to your unit, and someone removed the plate.
    Attached Images

For the serial number, check out this post: https://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-...tml#post100451 To clean it out, your method will work just fine. I typically park on a steep hill to degrease and wash out.

Alright, I got to spend some time tonight going over it and answered some questions and raised a few more. Once I start doing some actual work to it I'll start a proper project thread. Thanks for the guidance so far!

It appears at one time there was a plaque but it's long gone. The upper shell has been painted a couple times, has some minor damage, some minor repairs and is slightly tweaked so there could be a number of reasons it was removed (including this not being an original upper shell) not re-installed. Thanks for the link Mike. I'm pretty sure this is an old MAX going through that thread my Max doesn't have the cross tube in the frame and it has a small engine cover (for the 2-stroke).

The tube should be right here.

It also has the drum and band brakes.

I took a wire brush (hand held) to the paint on the frame in front of the battery but didn't come up with anything. When I get some of my power tools out of storage I'll see about blasting the paint off for a better look.

I now know what carburetor is on it and should be able to find a kit for it.

One of the questions raised is all the axles are gusseted like this, is that factory? From searching around the site it doesn't appear so. I've been looking at the threads on axles strengthening/bearing caging.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; 02-08-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Digging through old forum threads I came across a statement that the Big Max's got the 2-stroke Kohler? Is that a verifiable statement? What is the differences between the regular Max's and Big Max's? So far I'm not coming up with much info but will keep looking.

And Mike, I ran across that you are also 6'2", any comfort tips or seat modifications to try? =D I'm actually more concerned about how close my head is to the roll bar.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; 02-08-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Digging through old forum threads I came across a statement that the Big Max's got the 2-stroke Kohler? Is that a verifiable statement? What is the differences between the regular Max's and Big Max's? So far I'm not coming up with much info but will keep looking.
    Found this on the main page. 45mph?!?!

Those 2 smokes really scream dude

It sounds like you are finding most of your answers. For comfort, the Max II fits me well. I typically stretch my legs out and brace against the front of the lower tub. The Big Max was just the name of the model you pointed out in the brochure.

+ Reply to Thread