Tracks may be the next purchase

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tracks may be the next purchase

What is UHMW. Looks like square tube that you've tapered at the ends. I have a shop where I fab/weld alot but don't know this term.

Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. We use a lot of it at work so I was fortunate enough to get some off the scrap pile, hence the long and short cleats. I would've made them all long if I would've had enough.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thanks for the come back on UHMW. I finally looked it up & found that is was polyethelene. That's what I purchased 1/4" thick, 8'x4'. That cost me $97. I cut it and made a top for my Max IV out of it. That's tuff stuff. I heated it with a heat gun and bent n angle in the front. I can imagine what a 1" piece would cost, enough to make cleats on my tracks. I need a source like you have.

I priced a 4'x8'x1" thick UHMW polyethylene sheet. For virgin, it was $475.00 and for recycled, it was $305.00. Won't be doing that soon! Maybe I'll run into another source. Seems like steel would hurt the asphalt road or cement driveway when ya skid steered. UHMW would be the best choice for sure and would probably take a little skid steering on hard surfaces. Winter's about over anyway, almost time to remove the tracks and 21" tires and install the 26" x 12" wheels and tires.

Removed my tracks yesterday. Greased the bearings, found a few problems I had to fix but got it. Installed the 26" tires and gave it a try. I have almost twice the power with the tires (no tracks). My max iv goes close to 35 MPH! Now I feel the power of the 27 HP Kawasaki engine. I wish the Max had better ground clearance due to all the rocks here in Fremont, Ut.

Just got a max 1v (2001) what do I need to install tracks? Different size tires, wheel spacers etc? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the best amphibious site out there. Sounds like you're on the right track ( pun intended). To run tracks you will need 21x11x8 tires. I highly recommend k lock rims. You'll also need bearing cages if not already equipped. This gives you three bearings per axel and supports the axel all the way out to the hub. And yes you will also need wheel spacers.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread