Tracks may be the next purchase

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracks may be the next purchase

Tracks may be the next purchase

We in the Champlain Valley of Vermont finally got a taste of winter over the past two days, really our first major storm. Snow began to fall yesterday about 10 AM and it came down hard and steady, a fine crystalline snow. It was basically all done by 9AM this morning. After all is said and done, I.E., snow stopped, and I got the snow cleaned out of the yard/drive and got my honey do list done, I took the MAX II out for a ride, to see how well it might handle in snow with just tires. Well, I can say with some authority, 9+ inches of well packed snow and a MAX II with just tires do not play well together. I made sure that my first test run in the snow was close to the garage and with plenty of pull/anchor points (trees). I do not think I got 8 feet into the stuff before the MAX II hung up on the tub. Luckily I could back out after 2 attempts. I can say with some certainty, I think a set of tracks are going to be my first major purchase.

that's what happened to me years ago here in va. we would get a nice 8 to 12'' snow and i could'nt go anywhere in the max 2. spent lot's of time trying and remembering having to leave it till i could get help to get it back in the garage. the tracks sure are great when you need them. now i have them and we have yet to have a snow over 1'' so far this winter. and times running out !! johnboy va.

Had my max iv with tracks out 2 weeks ago in knee deep snow. No issues and put on over 20 miles had a blast��. Tracks are definitely an asset ��

Yeah, tracks are where it's at, for sure! On my wish list for 2017.

I've got 50 acres to deal with and for the most part, have had success with my Max II. I just have to be sure to ride the trails during the snows and keep the path beaten down. I've got paths going to three barns, the woodshed, the root cellar, pump house, chicken coop, and garage. It would be nice to be able to crawl over the fluffy stuff, but it isn't so bad having an excuse to go play in the snow on my Max.
    Sorry honey, I've got to go spin some circles in the pasture. It's a chore that simply has to be done.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 02-14-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tracks are nice but they won't go everywhere either. With the Max Tracks on my Max IV, I've had problems climbing a steep snow covered hill where the snow was wet, starting to melt. My tracks would spin with little traction. I kept hitting it until finally I inched up to the top. Also had the same experience climbing a wet clay hill. The waffle tread on my tracks is lacking where tracks with cleats would do better. My tracks work well on deep snow in rolling hills & flats. I parked on a 6 ft drift, jumped out of the Max and sunk to my neck! They have pretty good flotation that way.

Channel tracks in the snow and mud my friend, I tested several and many different terrains and channel tracks rocked in all except pavement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4otvIveMj0

Could a guy bolt pieces of angle iron to the tracks to make cleats on tracks? I think it would need to be bolted between the aluminum guides with steel plates to act as big washers. This would be for rubber Max Tracks with the shallow waffle tread pattern. What do you all think? Has anybody done it?

I had trouble climbing hills too so I added some cleats. This may be over kill but I think angle iron would work fine as long as you make them the width of the track and taper the ends so it skid steers nice n easy. Bolt them on with elevator bolts. Since I added these I can go up steep hills and it turns easier. I only run these in snow and ice.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tbone9; 02-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

tbone9, Looks like you have the same tracks as I do. I looked at your cleats on your thumbnail pic., they look like they would work great. Where did you get your cleats? They look better than home made angle iron pieces. Also, did you make your own camo enclosure? It looks great!
    Last edited by dwdog51; 02-23-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks. I made them out of 1" UHMW and faced them off with 1 1/4" stainless. The cab is factory Max.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread