Max4 axle replace question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max4 axle replace question

Oops did not.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    I have the bearing extensions and the first mechanic said for what I'm driving on and in I didn't need them. So now we're on the 3rd mechanic and at least I can get him to somewhat look at this site, and what guys that have had these machines for years are saying. So NOW we're going to put the extensions on. The first guy just put on the axle extensions not the axle bracket. How come they just don't make the outside part of the driveshaft a lot bigger to carry the load instaid of outer axle brackets and bearings. I thought about just having the axle made, but I only have another month or so to work on the phrag areas, after that the plant starts growing and driving over it wouldn't hurt it. Typically it will stand back up.
    Its all leverage, by moving the ,we'll call it , fulcrum point out the force the axle can withstand is greatly increased. The reason for the rails best I can recon is so the outer frame rail can't flex thus snapping the middle of the axle as it fights the inner frame rail.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Just going to throw it out there does anyone have a better idea for axles. I'm thinking can you retrofit a larger diameter axle.

Definitely doable. I see 3 ways to get it done.

1. Find a bearing with the same OD as you are currently running, but with a larger ID, assuming they make them to fit your flanges. If not, you'd have to find some different flanges that would house the bearings you wanted.

2. Cut the axle holes in the frame wider, reinforce the frame to make up for lost material and geometry, drill holes for the bolts of a larger flange that will house a larger bearing. Open the holes in the tub as necessary.

3. Build 6 extension units that would house larger ID and OD bearings and bolt them to the frame through the current flange bolt holes, though you'd get a decent amount of flex, and a lot of beefing up and geometry would have to happen to support them.

For the inners, I don't think I'd modify anything except the axles. Use a lathe to cut the ends down to whatever ID the inner bearing is. Hustler did that to their axles to get 1" ID bearings on the inners, and 1.25" ID bearings on the outers.
    Meep Meep

I'm curious, are you running front chains with the tracks on?

No the reason I posted about chains was. I saw them when I was looking for tracks and I see where a lot of guys up north use machines for ice fishing. So I figured I'd put them out there, I didn't know that they made them for aatv tires.

Max axle replace question

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    No the reason I posted about chains was. I saw them when I was looking for tracks and I see where a lot of guys up north use machines for ice fishing. So I figured I'd put them out there, I didn't know that they made them for aatv tires.
    OOPS1 I think we are talking about two different types of chain!! I think that Argo Jim is asking if you have removed any of your Axle Drive chains because you are running tracks? If I am confused , it isn't the first time and I apologise. Hey Delduck would I ever love to see the movie.

You can step up to 1 7/16 axles.i believe that is as big as you can go with the factory flanges for a 72mm bearing. I just made a set for my max iv. Old vs new
    Attached Images

The bearing part # i used is. uc207-23r3

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    OOPS1 I think we are talking about two different types of chain!! I think that Argo Jim is asking if you have removed any of your Axle Drive chains because you are running tracks? If I am confused , it isn't the first time and I apologise. Hey Delduck would I ever love to see the movie.
    Drive chains.

+ Reply to Thread