Max4 axle replace question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max4 axle replace question

Max4 axle replace question

Broke the axle on the max 4 and wiped out the bearings. While I have it down would you suggest replacing all the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    Broke the axle on the max 4 and wiped out the bearings. While I have it down would you suggest replacing all the bearings.
    how did the axle break? Did you have tracks on?

Yes the tracks were on and I beat the poor thing to death in the marsh. Once I figure out how to put pictures in I will. I've posted three so far but I'd like to show what we're going threw. We fly a drone over the area first then start in with the max. I have some great Ariel video from the drone but I'm not computer savvy enough to post. We started with the go pro 12 ft in the air on a pole but ended up buying the drone so we can hover and watch for problems. It still hasn't stopped us from breaking stuff.

Delduck, to answer your question I guess it depends on how much trouble it is to get to the bearings where the damage is. For instance, if you are having to pull the engine and trans to access the damaged bearings, I would replace all axle bearings that require removal of the engine and trans. As far as the others, as long as the bearings are "tight" meaning there is no, or very little, play and they spin freely, I would run them. You can also look at the seals. If the seals are damaged then the bearing won't last.

I just ordered the axle and just the bearings for that axle. Mike at Richards said the same thing.

Get the outter bearing flanges too if you haven't already ordered them. I've yet to break an axle and not need to replace the flanges. They distort easily

That's why I love this site. I called and they added them to the order.

I had intended to reply last night, if you did the get the bearing extension kit you will be revisiting this soon. Ask Zuk.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I had intended to reply last night, if you did the get the bearing extension kit you will be revisiting this soon. Ask Zuk.
    Jim did you mean "did" or did you mean "did not"?

I have the bearing extensions and the first mechanic said for what I'm driving on and in I didn't need them. So now we're on the 3rd mechanic and at least I can get him to somewhat look at this site, and what guys that have had these machines for years are saying. So NOW we're going to put the extensions on. The first guy just put on the axle extensions not the axle bracket. How come they just don't make the outside part of the driveshaft a lot bigger to carry the load instaid of outer axle brackets and bearings. I thought about just having the axle made, but I only have another month or so to work on the phrag areas, after that the plant starts growing and driving over it wouldn't hurt it. Typically it will stand back up.

+ Reply to Thread