Greasing a Max II left rear inner bearing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greasing a Max II left rear inner bearing

Greasing a Max II left rear inner bearing

Mine is a 1999 model. The 3rd and previous owner said it was upgraded to the 18 hp Vanguard engine but I doubt there is any size difference between that and the 14 or 16 hp models. I've owned this Max for 8 months and thought, while I was at it, after replacing the drive belt and battery, why not make sure everything that needs lubricating once the upper shell is lifted out of the way gets done.

I replaced the straight grease zerk on the right rear inner bearing with a 90* so my Lincoln 1162 grease gun fit on straight and all the grease actually went inside instead of all over the outside. That was an easy enough fix.

But the left side inner is covered by the engine and I have barely enough room to wriggle my hand in there to feel the zerk. No way to manipulate the grease gun fitting onto the zerk. I've come to the conclusion that removing the 2 engine to mounting plate, and then, the 2 mounting plate to frame bolts to slide the mounting plate completely out of the way might yield enough room to grease that hidden zerk. Am I on the right track or do other Max II owners with a Vanguard engine have an easier way?

Also, what modifications did you do to alleviate having to go through all this back-braking trouble just to perform this simple greasing the next time?

I use a 36" flex hose on my grease gun. With that and several right angle and needle type fittings I get them done. Buffalo truck and 2 have some that are tough. If you go to the work to access it Idd change out the zerk for a tubing fitting and locate the zerk at rear of frame where it's easy to see. Most bearing supply houses have the fittings and tube for remote lubrication. Oh and i end up with a mirror laying in the tub many times to see the fittings. Good luck

When I first got my used 1996 MAX II back in Nov 2015, I inquired to one of the "Internet Dealers" for a lubrication chart to make sure that I had a list of all the lube points as there was nothing in the user manual....I got the Internet version of a puzzled look, I.E., "no response". I am sure others know what I am referring to. Even my 20 year old tractor has a down loadable user manual, and it has pages included that have both a lube point chart and a lube frequency chart. I wonder why RI MAX never included something of the like. If you did not think about it, you would not even look for some grease points.

Let me throw this in the mix. My max IV has no grease fittings on the inner bearings and I did not see anything about that in the manual I down loaded. Should they have them on the inner bearings? I grease the outer one about every 20 hrs.

Also for what its worth.....different machine.....but my Hustler does not have grease fittings on the inner bearings. As long as they stay in the dry, are full of grease to start with, and in good mechanical shape (i.e. seals intact) I don't think greasing the inner bearing is critical. Think about the wheel bearings on many vehicles today - they aren't serviceable or they don't get serviced (disassembled and repacked) for what...100,000 miles or more?

good point in reference to vehicle bearings I did not look at it that way

I surfed the interweb and found:
    HTML Code:
    GreaseExtensionHoses.com
    in New Jersey...one stop shopping for all my needs that Recreative Industries failed to include with their Max II build. I ordered a 1' long hose; no matter what length they are all fitted with 1/8"-27 male on one end and 1/8"-27 female on the other--the inside tubing is 1/8" diameter. Also needed was an adapter to go from the hose to the 1/4"-28 size of the bearing. And a 90* fitting to make sure the hose didn't kink. The hose lengths start at 8", 12" and 18" but they're all $24 each, give or take a few cents. Pricey to say the least. But there are no bearing stores in my neck of the woods.

I'm no grease zerk expert; far from it. But I noticed something about their sizing that baffles me. The 1/8"-27 size zerk is about twice as big as the 1/4"-28 size. I wonder why since a quarter is bigger than an eighth?

Now I wait for the post office to get in gear to deliver my Priority Mail. They have off today for Presidents Day.

Neat idea, extensions for hard to reach fittings...I may have to look into these

The remote fittings are common in the mechanical trade where big bearings are inside fan units hidden from safe access. The 1/4x28 adapter fittings are spendy but make a very nice install. Early max didn't have greasable inner bearings. Haven't seen any newer than 97 without inner zerks.

So, you are saying MAX's older than 1997 did not have inner bearing zerks? Just wondering if I should open the tub and look or not.

+ Reply to Thread