TheSilverBuick MAX II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TheSilverBuick MAX II Project

more likely a broken band or bad drum then. best to remove the trans. you will need to remove the trans to reset the snap ring on the clutch as you will have to preload the spring by indexing it a third turn.
    Acta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    My only concern about it possibly not being the pin is it does go between neutral and forward still.
    If one side of the pin is wore the other side will still act fine.

A better pin

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I didn't test the shifting with a screw driver yet because I ran out of time after removing the driven clutch, but that'll be coming up. I need to know your pro-tip on removing the pin? I tried a quick attempt with pliers, but no go. I have bunches of tools, dowel rod, etc but unfortunately it's in storage =(

I removed the driven clutch and all in all it looks good but definitely is missing some things. Also it looks like the chain just gave it a cosmetic rubbing and nothing to worry about. It appears a woodruff key is missing from the driven clutch, and I'm not sure if only one or if a second C-clip is also missing.

The cosmetic chain damage.

The T-20 shaft looks good. Question 1, does a clip go in that groove?

I guess I didn't get a picture of it, but there is a slot on the pulley shaft that I assume should have a key in it to line up with the slot on the end piece. Question 2, there is a groove on the outside of the pulley shaft, does a clip go into that groove too?

Thanks for the guidance so far!

Try some vice grips on the pin and a rubber mallet against the shifter. All of mine have come out without too much of a struggle so I'm no help beyond that.

only one clip on the convertor, the outer for most.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

20170314_201439[1].jpg20170314_201516[1].jpgThat hub with the 3 ramps that slid off the clutch shaft should have a key in it, and it should be held on with a snap ring. Here are a couple of pics of what it should look like when reassembled (although the buttons are worn out on the one in the picture)

Also, I forgot to mention, there is a seal that drives into the sprocket gear. Clean it up good and check it out. From the pics it looks like the seal may be damaged, but that could just be grease.

The damage to your clutch is just what you said - cosmetic. Shouldn't hurt anything. Apparently the snap ring failed and the spring pushed the hub into the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Also, I forgot to mention, there is a seal that drives into the sprocket gear. Clean it up good and check it out. From the pics it looks like the seal may be damaged, but that could just be grease.

The damage to your clutch is just what you said - cosmetic. Shouldn't hurt anything. Apparently the snap ring failed and the spring pushed the hub into the chain.
    My reply read the same only we had a memory failure so I deleted it.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Attachment 16016Attachment 16015That hub with the 3 ramps that slid off the clutch shaft should have a key in it, and it should be held on with a snap ring. Here are a couple of pics of what it should look like when reassembled (although the buttons are worn out on the one in the picture)
    Thank you for the pictures! I saw in the picture what you are seeing on the shaft seal, but have not inspected it further but will wipe it down for a better look.

I'm somewhat thinking the clip was never actually there when I got it. I cannot find pieces of it anywhere, though if it broke while running they could be zinged anywhere, plus the missing woodruff key implies thing thing was apart and poorly re-assembled.

Ace Hardware FTW! I took the driven clutch to Ace and found a woodruff key that fit the slot, though needed some trimming, as well as a snap ring and 1/4" dowel.

Grabbed these from the drawers at Ace. I picked up some new files since mine are in storage. msafi65 sent me pictures of the factory woodruff key, so I had something to base it on. Sadly the trimming of the woodruff key would have been just a few minutes with a 4" grinder/cut off wheel, but I spent about 15 minutes with the file, so all in all wasn't terrible.

Won't win any awards but should do the job nicely.

Pre-loaded the spring and slid the end piece on and installed the snap ring. I didn't have any snap ring pliers on hand, but a flat head screw driver got the job done.

That snap-ring should stay in place.

Unfortunately the dowel didn't come out of the shifter for me. I tried a few penetrating oils and vise-grips, but no go. I think I'm just going to run it by a machine shop and have them work their magic over and install a new dowel. On a good note though, I lifted the left side off the ground and spun the wheels. At first it was in neutral, and the transmission shaft didn't move, check. Next used a screw driver to shift it into forward and the transmission shaft spun, check. Then moment of truth and shifted into reverse and it didn't want to move, puzzled me for a second, pulled the left lever and spun the tires and the transmission shaft spun! So looking good on it being the pin. Looking at how the shifting is leveraged, I can see why the pin wears like it does.

+ Reply to Thread