Buying a 97 max IV - what should I know

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 97 max IV - what should I know

Buying a 97 max IV - what should I know

Hello friends. Found a guy with a 1997 max IV that was looking for a 4 wheeler. I have a 4 wheeler and want a 6x6, so we're going to trade. He says all new bearings, new chains and 6 new tires - look like a deep V style similar to an agricultural tread. What should I look for? I know that with new chains some stretch is inevitable, and with new bearings, perhaps some retorquing wouldn't hurt. Done a ton of research and I understand how to spot out of adjustment steering linkages.

any insight in to my new toy would be great. Picking it up Saturday - will post some pics.

congratulations on your "trade". Keep your chains lubricated and bearings greased and everything inspected and you'll be fine. These things are old technology but that being said you won't find anything simpler-a tricycle maybe. Play with it a little before you get into some serious offroading. It's amazing what they'll go through but then again I've been bogged down in stuff my riding lawnmower would cross. They attract a lot of attention so be ready with some answers for questions. Really young people are fascinated and will be your most enthusiastic passengers. You'll wind up riding with a lot of folks whose rigs are faster (way) than you. Don't worry you'll catch them at the next water crossing. Have fun and remember there is a world of expertise on the forum here to help you.

Fill in your profile also so we can see if anyone is close to you ?

I would test drive the Max4 into a pond or other type of shallow water to make sure that the bearings and seals are fully functional. Lots of people prey upon folks with stories of new bearings and chains, but unless you know what you are looking for, it may be a deception. If the Max4 takes on no water, the guy is probably telling the truth, if it does take on water, you should be able to tell from where and that will give you some room to negotiate.

I wish I could, but there's about 2 feet of ice and 4 feet of snow on any pond right now, lol. I fully understand that this could turn in to a bit of a project - I'm going in to this assuming the max iv won't be perfect. You'll see that I joined this site in 2009, but this is my second post...ive been looking for a max Atv for quite a while, they are not common around here, so I have to jump at the chance on this one.

An alternative is, if you have an inside work area, to disconnect the battery, raise the unit and fill the tub with water so that it covers the bearings. Water will flow out the same as it would flow in. It should not be deep enough to cover anything critical. If no leaks from bearing areas, you should be good to go and then just drain through drain plugs.

I'm thinking that the old guy I'm buying it from isn't going to go for that. I was asking as more of a general things to watch for with the model year, ie: maybe that year was prone to something, or whatever.

That was a good year, especially if its a 25hp kohler, solid, splined axle model, which would have been a top model, the other Kohler motors and Kawasaki are also fine. What features does this one have?

I know it's got the vanguard, and what appears to be a factory rollcage - might be a home fab job though. I think he said he's got a canvas top for it too. It's a 4 hour drive away, and the seller is 69 years old and he bought it on a whim to enjoy with his grandkids, but never enjoyed how it rode - he misses suspension.

Check out the bearings and chains good. When I bought mine I pulled the front floor pan before I said I would take it. There are only 2 bolts on the front pan so its really easy to remove. You can see part of the drive system from there so that should give you an idea of what the rest looks like. Have Fun you are hooked now!

+ Reply to Thread