What material in Max IV tub?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What material in Max IV tub?

What material in Max IV tub?

Is the tub (lower body) on a 2007 Max IV polyethylene? I have plenty of that. I found 2 holes in my tub, one where at one time, the tracks came off and ate a hole in the tub. Somebody tried to fix it but failed, then when I steamed the tub out today, I saw daylight through a dime size hole in the bottom. Guess I'll do a little plastic welding. I think I read somewhere that the tub material was polyethylene. Any body help me here?

HDPE
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I was successful in welding up the hole in the bottom and a huge gash on the left rear where a track ate a hole in it. Had to scrape off a ton of JB plastic weld. I used my Polyethylene to weld it up and it did a good job! I cut a filler piece to fit in the gash, heated and bent it to form to the gash. I tacked it in using a soldering iron then used a heat gun with an attachment to melt the plastic and flow it over the wound. Used the gun to smooth out the plastic. Can't hardly tell that there was ever a hole! That was the first time I'd ever did plastic welding, I've welded alot of steel but never plastic. Now I dare to take Max in the water. The polyethylene I used was black 1/4", tuff stuff, you could beat it with a sledge hammer & it won't bust! Don't know it it was HDPE, MDPE, LDPE, or WHMU but it worked really well for a permanent repair.

Any before and after shots?

I should have taken pictures but I didn't think to. The gash was about 6 or 7 inches long and 1 inch wide at the widest point. I think it is a permanent repair, looks good. I didn't do anything on the inside of the tub, I'd have to pull the engine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dwdog51 View Post
    I should have taken pictures but I didn't think to. The gash was about 6 or 7 inches long and 1 inch wide at the widest point. I think it is a permanent repair, looks good. I didn't do anything on the inside of the tub, I'd have to pull the engine for that.
    I'd imagine you started with something like this

and ended up with something slightly prettier tan this

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

The exact same place! Your repair looks good. It's pretty easy to repair (if you can get to it) but it's very time consuming. Did you have a track come off or what caused your damage?

That way when I got it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread