MAX II winch mounts.....pros/cons....designs.......

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAX II winch mounts.....pros/cons....designs.......

MAX II winch mounts.....pros/cons....designs.......

I'm going to install my Superwinch 25SR soon,but before I do,I would like to hear about any hull/body related problems others have experienced when using their winch. There are several different winch mount designs.I have a new 'OEM' MAX unit,and frankly,I'm not impressed with it;enough so,that I'll either modify it for improvement or simply fabricate another one. (I prefer the MAX IV design over the overhung 'shelf' type of the II).

All that said,what about hull/tub stresses and damage from winch usage over a period of time -any??
    I'm using a synthetic rope winch because the elasticity is easier on the body,but there will still be that stress on the body at the mating seam when pulling.

Comments please.......

Best one I have seen tied into uprights welded to frame with a plate angled to touch back side of top and bottom tubs, with a matching outer plate that had a second flat plate welded to it for winch mounting. Only drawback, winch had to be removed to lift upper body

My max2 winch mount is similar to the factory mount of later years with an added angle bolted through top and tub lip about 2' long. I don't reccomended this but have tied the trailer hitch off to a tree and double lined a pickup out of the mud. Stretched the max while pulling but did no permanent damage. I find that there is usually very little load on the winch and mount to get moving again.

How I changed my Max II winch mount

original winch mount.jpg

This is the winch mount that came on my Max II. It had a 2500# Tractor Supply winch mounted with the fairlead facing down for a straight shot at the 60" snow plow. It worked fine for pulling me out when stuck in mud and for plowing snow this past winter. But I wanted to upgrade to a winch with a wireless remote so I could be right at my problem beaver dam dragging a grapple through it, time after time, until as much backed up water drained as quick as possible before these busy beavers repaired the breach during the cover of night.

With that use in mind, I wanted to change the fairlead to face horizontal, facing front. Before the next snow season arrives I'll remove the 50' synthetic rope and spool on a half dozen wraps of 1" wide flat webbing to work the plow up and down. It will rub the hawse fairlead a max of 8". If and when that strap wears out. I have plenty more bought from Harbor Freight.

This is how I modified the mount to accommodate the new SuperATV 3500# winch.

revamped winch mount.jpg

double line attach.jpg

And this is a 3/8" muffler clamp welded under the mount for attaching the hook when a snatch block double line is needed. BTW, it's also welded on the top where it passes through the plate. I didn't want anyone to think I was relying on those 2 tack welds for all the strength.

It has a backup plate under the lip and behind the front wall in front of the gas tank. If it didn't pull apart in it's 18 year life before I bought this 6x6, it's unlikely to now.

EDIT: I have no way of knowing if that old mounting plate is a Max part or home built.

new winch and mount.jpg
    Last edited by onefunzr2; 03-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.

The first picture is a factory style mount, around 96 I came back from a ride that J. from the factory was at and complained that the Rule winches were junk because the motor was ripped off from just touching a tree ( the Rule had no through bolts), the winches were later changed along with the mount design.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

"...Stretched the max while pulling but did no permanent damage......" LOL OK,msafi65,the MAX has excellent elasticity under extreme situations.

Thanks for the pics and your reply,onefunzr2 my factory MAX II mount is the later type argojim speaks of. It employs a light gage sheet metal 'hood' to cover the spool portion of the winch;perhaps as some sort of debris shield-it certainly doesn't lend any structural value........

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The first picture is a factory style mount...
    Thank you for the info; good to know.

Thanks to all who responded. My winch mount is almost completed,so I'll post pics and details soon.....

MAX II winch pictures

A few pics of the modifications to the OEM factory winch mount to better distribute the stresses of use. All original 3/8" holes were closed and relocated for 5/16" bolts which are more than adequate for the task of securing the mount to the top/hull.
    All surfaces were coated in acid etching primer,with a top-coating of 3M 08881 undercoat.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread