New Guy Looking At A Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Guy Looking At A Max IV

Question New Guy Looking At A Max IV

I'm new to the 6x6 world but have always wanted one. I have had plenty of atvs but want more room and more fun.
    I have always liked the max ix because of the 2 bench seats so my wife and little girl can ride. I have found an older ( round headlights ) max iv with the roll cage and the 16 vanguard and have worked out a deal for around $2000 if it works out. Besides the small engine and hollow axles is there anything I should look out for. It also has one of those super cheap atv tires on the drives front. Thanks for any help.

Hi Mrcln1, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have worked out a decent deal on the Max IV. Besides the hollow axles, also look for inner bearings vs older models that had bushings. The wheels also will probably be the old style non K-lock wheels which tend to lose a bead more easily out on the trails. Check the sprocket tubes where they bolt to the axles and see how much play you have. You can test that by getting a tire off the ground and turning it back and forth with your hand. You can watch to see if the wheel/axle spins before catching the sprocket. If they are really worn, you may have to replace sprockets and axles which would add a lot of cost. If it's slightly worn, you can weld some washers to the sprocket tubes and fix it. Good luck getting your Max. Let us know how it goes.

Drove 3 hours to look at it. While I as checking it out another guy walked up and made an offer so the seller says sold.

Thank you for your help Mike. I really don't even want to thank about an 6x6 right now. Lol

They say everything happens for a reason. As an owner of three of them I would recommend a square headlighted machine with at least an 18 hp in it. Solid splined axels as the way to go.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thats how I'm trying to think too.

If I can find something like that within a reasonable drive Ill be all over it. Found an argo for 3200 but I really like the max iv with the dual bench seats so Ill just keep looking.

If you post your location on your site or just let us know what part of the country you are in maybe the fine folks on here can help you in your search. Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

That's is LOW on the sellers part ! But it may be best for you ?
    I am with T bone. Hold out and find a newer max IV. Your better off in the long run even if you have to pay some more for a Good machine. If thy are not taken care of thy tend to get expensive to bring back to 100% and Reliable ! Who knows he may have saved you A lot of Greif !!

Yeah from the condition of the other atvs he had and the fact that they told me they had put it in a pond the night before without the plugs and flooded it to the point the belt started slipping, I doubt they took care of anything. The bottom under the chains was full of muck from the pond.

I added my location. I'm near Lynchburg Va. A few hours from Busco Beach so I'm sure something will come up. Thanks guys.

The people on here will help you find a Good machine !
    Matter of fact check Craigslist in your area as I think I saw some machines around your location. Search for Amphibious .

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread