crazy engine swap idea

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crazy engine swap idea

crazy engine swap idea

ive been looking for a 600-800 twin polaris motor to swap into my max IV for a few months with no luck. I got to thinking yesterday, why not swap a 5 speed atv chain drive engine in and get rid of the belt alltogether? Other than the need to shift gears on the atv transmission I dont see any real issues.

I don't think the little clutch in ATV motor would take it!

Quote Originally Posted by maicolover View Post
    I don't think the little clutch in ATV motor would take it!
    Well its a 5 speed so I could just select different gears. With the speed the input shaft spins on the trans there shouldnt be any slippage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
    Well its a 5 speed so I could just select different gears.
    Would you operate the clutch and shift gears in the transmission by hand? If you're going to direct chain-drive the T-20, does the geometry work out that you can still put the engine above the transmission or will the engine case itself get in the way? Remember you'll have to hold the clutch in to shift gears on the T-20. Come to think of it, there would be a ton of hand-clutch work in any sort of technical terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Would you operate the clutch and shift gears in the transmission by hand? If you're going to direct chain-drive the T-20, does the geometry work out that you can still put the engine above the transmission or will the engine case itself get in the way? Remember you'll have to hold the clutch in to shift gears on the T-20. Come to think of it, there would be a ton of hand-clutch work in any sort of technical terrain.
    I would mount a clutch lever on the left handle. I would only need to pull the clutch in to put in in reverse. all I use mine for is mud so I wouldnt be in anything too technical.

Why not just use a motor with a semi auto trans like a Honda Forman or something with an internal centrifugal wet clutch? You'd have 5speeds + reverse and no need for a hand clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    Why not just use a motor with a semi auto trans like a Honda Forman or something with an internal centrifugal wet clutch? You'd have 5speeds + reverse and no need for a hand clutch.
    I have thought about using a 300trx however I would have to make a custom sprocket since its a shaft drive. The reverse would never be used though as it would be incredibly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
    I have thought about using a 300trx however I would have to make a custom sprocket since its a shaft drive. The reverse would never be used though as it would be incredibly slow.
    True, but having both the T-20 and the manual transmission in reverse would give you a crazy low forward gear and that would be useful

prepare for a ramble lol

Depending on the rotation of the that TRX motor the drive shaft setup may be beneficial in fabrication as it would allow you to run a shaft and balance the weight side to side perfectly. With the chain drive your suck with aligning the new output sprocket with the T-20s fixed position. Motor mounting is another thing to consider, with the T-20 being rigid to the frame you would be best served to have the motor mounted with solid motor mounts if you plan on running the chain straight off the quad transmission or you'll probably toss the chain under load with rubber mounts. With a drive shaft you could weld an A-frame with pillow block bearings or something over the T-20 to support the upper sprocket and have those two chained together. Then it's just a matter of feeding that sprocket power via a drive shaft. This would allow you to lower the motor and push it to the center/right side and keep good U-joint angles and run rubber mounts. If you made the A-frame adjustable in height you would be able to swap out the sprocket sizes for fine tuning and keep the same chain size and engine location. This could be a bonus feature if you switch it up between tracks and tires.

+ Reply to Thread