Chatter/grinding when steer or brake.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chatter/grinding when steer or brake.

Chatter/grinding when steer or brake.

All you MAX experts out there, what do ya think my problem is? All of a sudden, when I steer right or left or brake using the stix, I get a load chatter or grinding noise. If I pull the sticks hard or real light it won't do it. Could it be the bands chattering? I have type F ATF in the trans and a little limited slip additive and it's been fine up till now. What's going on? This is on a 2007 MAX IV with a Kawasaki engine and the T-20 trans. Chains and sprockets all look good.

To test for band chatter I stop the vehicle nose down on a fairly steep grade and hold it with the sticks. Engine off allow it to creep forward and stop it again. If you get any groaning or noise close to belt noise it's band chatter. I add 8 oz. of diff additive to start. I've had them that won't get quiet. When torn down the bands and drums are bright mirror smooth. I deglaze the bands with a green scrub pad and the drums in the lathe with sandpaper. You want drums dull grey. After this they are dead silent. I see t20s that have very low hours that have been slipped in reverse that are glazed up bad. The noisy ones don't usually show any damage other than a bit of lining popping off at plunger end. Away from the contact area with drum.

I'll give that a try and see what happens. I appreciate the help.

Have you checked the oil lately? Is there any?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I changed the oil in the trans about 50 hours ago using type F ATF and about 7 oz. additive. After I took it out on the water for a couple of hours then drove it home, I noticed a little red oil in the tub and it was wet around both output shafts. Those seals may be leaking with only 300 hours on them. I'm going to pick up the front of the Max with my crane with the plug out and drain the trans again. Then refill the trans using 8 oz. additive and 28 oz ATF. Then I'll give it a try again. If that stops the chatter, I'll be happy. I really think that T-20 trans is the weak link on the MAX. I'd really like a different drive setup if it is possible.

Not sure what kind of additive you are using, but I've had the best luck with Motorcraft friction modifier right from the Ford dealer. Comes in a 4oz bottle. Been using it for years, last time I changed fluid I just used whatever they had at the local auto parts because there's no Ford dealer near by and now I've got band chatter.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I use "Trans-X" Posi-trac & limited slip additive. Comes in a 7 oz tube. About all I can get around here. Seemed to work ok. I suspect low oil level in the trans due to the red oil in the tub. haven't had a chance to check it yet, won't run it 'till I do. Does anybody use synthetic trans oil in their T-20 that is compatible with Type F?
    The T-20 in the MAX IV is really tuff to see let alone check and fill the trans with oil. Not too well engineered I think.

Synthetic atf is used by some members but I've had very noisy bands with it.

I was not low on oil. I now have about 10 oz. additive in the trans. The band chatter didn't start until I ran my Max in a lake for about 2 hours. Maybe I'm operating the T-20 wrong! I will steer the max with high rpm on the engine. Would it be better to let off the throttle, steer, then get back into the throttle? How do you guys operate your Max machines? Should be able to steer under full throttle weather on land or in the water!

If I'm going slow on the water like in a swamp or shallow back waters I drive it the same way I drive it on land, use the tillers and let off the power on the side I want to turn towards. If I'm crossing the lake in my Max I keep both sides under power and just rock my weight to the left or right to make steering corrections. Each **** of my butt will give me 10-15 degrees of course correction at "cruising speed" lol.

+ Reply to Thread