Newbie hoping to get my first 6x6, Finally

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newbie hoping to get my first 6x6, Finally

For the windshield I bought one from CountryATV a few years ago that was made of Lexan and it has heldup very well. Unfortunately they stopped making them last year. I don't know if anyone has put a predator engine in a Max, but they seem to be darn good for a Chonda motor. Maybe a route for you to look at. I bought a trencher with one on it 2 years ago and not a moments problem.

I put a Predator in my Max II, simple swap. The motor has been almost flawless so far. Need to pull the oil vapor hose off or it smokes when cutting donuts. I just put a little filter from autozone on it and any excess oil is chain lube. Drilling the carb jets to richen it up makes it not so cold natured. It's the clutch that will be the hardest to come up with.

I'm really thinking of a predator 22hp. But for now I'm going to probably get a used Briggs and try my luck or maybe freshen it up. Any body give a guess to what the 2 stroke could sell for? I posted it on Craigslist trade for 4 stroke obo. It runs but needs carb work, I about pulled myself out of my chair ripping the recoil. It's the Rockwell jlo 440. Thanks again guys, it's a fixer upper and almost every possible set back slowed us down, finally made it back to newville from Ohio about 20 mins ago 730am, should have been back by midnight it oh well I like adventures.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 07-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    For the windshield I bought one from CountryATV a few years ago that was made of Lexan and it has heldup very well. Unfortunately they stopped making them last year. I don't know if anyone has put a predator engine in a Max, but they seem to be darn good for a Chonda motor. Maybe a route for you to look at. I bought a trencher with one on it 2 years ago and not a moments problem.
    I've heard alot of good about the predators even from the Honda guys

Just got real

Found some rust but no biggie was planning on adding some gussets and bracing anyway, just a little more metal to bend and weld while it's apart. Also going to get some upgraded adjusters or make some, not sure which yet. Also after some sanding and scrubbing I found it's a 75 or 76. I guess I got my money's worth, it runs, it has a t20, the wheels are there, it's a project that's for sure. On the bright side I can do everything but bend the metal.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 07-18-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Home made fuel cell

Beefy home made fuel cell, not sure what I'm going to do with it but it's getting replaced as soon as I can, it weighs like 30 lbs. and isn't very big maybe 3 and half to 4 gallons looks to be 3/16" all around.
    Attached Images

Finally back to it

Finally got my chair back and get to get back at it. I got a pile of new parts to go on and a decent amount of work to do. I just noticed the spot where the frame needs fixed is actually buckling and angling down in the front, I'm sure this didn't help the sprockets or bearing or bushing. I have my work çutout but as long as my buddy can squeeze me into his schedule it should be a pretty quick restoration/repair/modification. Hoping to have all the axles out this evening or at least get it jacked up and the wheels off. We'll see.
    Attached Images
    DanW

Slowly getting it tore down. Ran out of wd40 and ingredients to make panther piss, I use 50/50 acetone and atf, so far I haven't broken a bolt off in 3 or 4 years of using this for penetrating oil. I think I read something along the lines of some years inside frame rails facing in and some years facing out, mine just so happens to be one facing each way, is this common or just an off day? Or a 1976 I came to work after partying with Jerry Garcia all night thing? Either way not off to a bad start just a little delayed. I ordered all new bearings but only one seems bad, I need to dismantle it all anyway for frame repairs so they're all going to be new as well as bushings. It has 3 bolt to 5 bolt adapters I'm debating getting some tube and having my machinist friend machine me some new axles. How strong would it be to just weld the adapters to my existing axles, they have a pipe that goes over the axle to about 4 or 5 inches from the tub, il try to remember pictures and measurements tomorrow, nothing alot of you haven't already done and alot of you will probably do yourself at some point. I gave everything a generous douse in Palmolive to help lift some grease and make scrubbing it up a little easier. we will see if nothing else it's got a pleasant odor. I have one chain adjuster of 4, no biggie I'm doing some home brew like others have done I jus bought cool guy green ones with a ridge down the roller that's supposed to help the chain stay centered is really the only difference in my plan. The tub does a good job at sliding, I had to re block it two or three times because of sliding around on my blocks while loosening the wheels and starting to break loose the sprockets I can get to. More progress to come. It's hard not to dive into building my wiring harness and other stuff but gotta stay on track to hopefully get in the woods for archery. This project would be too expensive if I didn't have good luck and good friends to help out, and this site to give me all the knowledge and experiences of others.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 08-19-2017 at 03:04 AM.
    DanW

Finally blown apart, now to really get sh%# done, my bearings and axles weren't too hateful, the air hammer made short work of the collars and bearings. I thought a patch would fix my right side frame, I was wrong, making a call tomorrow to have the amishman out the road bend me up a new frame rail and punch holes for the bearings/axles. Besides extra bracing and some gussets any suggestions for frame beef or where to ad support besides where R.I. already did on newer max frames? My tub is surprisingly nice, one big hole where someone cut an access to the clutch and patched with mudflap or something, two small screw holes and the factory exhaust hole which I'm not decided on using or patching and then run the exhaust out through the upper. I like the idea of kids being less likely to burn themselves with it in the stock location but I like the idea of it coming through the upper and out the back and my lower being sealed also, any opinions on this? Axles all straight, thankfully. I'm gonna split the trans while it's apart because I don't wanna find out it's poop after everything else is new or repaired. All but one sprockets has egged out bolt holes, only one axle has egged holes.
    DanW

Picking up frame rails Monday then time for real progress, machinist friend stopping by to get measurements and notes for some other stuff. Can't wait, be cutting archery season close if I can be done by then. Selling my rc cars to help with funding. They'll bring enough to fund the rest of the necessities to "done" then I can do the fun stuff, the personalizing stuff.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread