Newbie hoping to get my first 6x6, Finally

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie hoping to get my first 6x6, Finally

Newbie hoping to get my first 6x6, Finally

First let me start by telling a little about myself, I'm 33 and am a t10/11 paraplegic from a car crash in June 2014. I've been checking out these machines for the last year and a half or so and reading about them off on since I got the idea an aatv would be alot better for me than my fourwheeler, I'm not getting rid of my quad but some things I just think a 6x6 would be much better for, like fishing and hunting and riding in the snow, or in the cold.
    Anyhow, I found a few machines within a reasonable distance for a good price maxes hustler Argos attex. And I think my best deal is a max ii I came across about 5 hours from me. I think the ii will be nice because I was 6'2" when I could stand and roughly 360# so I'm pretty big and fat but from what I've read the max ii has the best leg room, a big plus for a guy my size. It also has ROP and a little fabricated bed on back, the ROP would be nice for extra stuff to grab onto getting in and out of the machine, as well as helping prevent me from a brken neck, and the bed would work great for numerous things.
    The machine I'm leaning toward the most has a j lo 440 twin. Are these just a time bomb or pretty reliable considering I keep it in time and a decent mix? Is it worth running the 2 stroke or would I be better off selling the 2 stroke and invest in a predator or vanguard? I like the simplicity of 4 stroke but I used to love my 2 stroke dirt bike and I don't mind keeping a separate gas can. I will mostly be putting around the most speed I would ever get would be cruising out the road to go ground hog hunting or just tearing it up in the snow. And my experience with 2 strokes I had they really liked being revved up, can I still putt with the j lo or would I have to keep revving it instead of just going steady?
    I hope all this makes sense and can get some insight from the guys running 2 strokes, the machine I'm looking at is almost too nice to pass up for the price, and I'm pretty sure after a 5 hour ride it's going to be coming home with me. Thank you guys for any help and thank you for all the great info on this great group.

first 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    First let me start by telling a little about myself, I'm 33 and am a t10/11 paraplegic from a car crash in June 2014. I've been checking out these machines for the last year and a half or so and reading about them off on since I got the idea an aatv would be alot better for me than my fourwheeler, I'm not getting rid of my quad but some things I just think a 6x6 would be much better for, like fishing and hunting and riding in the snow, or in the cold.
    Anyhow, I found a few machines within a reasonable distance for a good price maxes hustler Argos attex. And I think my best deal is a max ii I came across about 5 hours from me. I think the ii will be nice because I was 6'2" when I could stand and roughly 360# so I'm pretty big and fat but from what I've read the max ii has the best leg room, a big plus for a guy my size. It also has ROP and a little fabricated bed on back, the ROP would be nice for extra stuff to grab onto getting in and out of the machine, as well as helping prevent me from a brken neck, and the bed would work great for numerous things.
    The machine I'm leaning toward the most has a j lo 440 twin. Are these just a time bomb or pretty reliable considering I keep it in time and a decent mix? Is it worth running the 2 stroke or would I be better off selling the 2 stroke and invest in a predator or vanguard? I like the simplicity of 4 stroke but I used to love my 2 stroke dirt bike and I don't mind keeping a separate gas can. I will mostly be putting around the most speed I would ever get would be cruising out the road to go ground hog hunting or just tearing it up in the snow. And my experience with 2 strokes I had they really liked being revved up, can I still putt with the j lo or would I have to keep revving it instead of just going steady?
    I hope all this makes sense and can get some insight from the guys running 2 strokes, the machine I'm looking at is almost too nice to pass up for the price, and I'm pretty sure after a 5 hour ride it's going to be coming home with me. Thank you guys for any help and thank you for all the great info on this great group.
    Two strokes don't work very well for simple trail riding due to the need to keep them revving. I am sure that you would not be happy. Now if we weighed a little less and we wanted to go racing, that's a different story.

Dan, if I were you, I'd stay away from a 2 stroke machine for what you are wanting to use it for. If you were wanting to race with it, that would be a different story but for reliable trail riding, go with a 4 stroke machine. Otherwise, you will be climbing in and out to get to the motor often and it will be more of a pain than it's worth. I think I would also look for a newer machine that already has a 4 stroke and solid or splined axles. That would make both the motor and drivetrain more reliable. Good luck in your hunt for a 6x6.

Edit: I'm too slow, philipatmaxfour beat me to it.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-09-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added comment

I'd stay with a four stroke, preferably a newer or fresh machine. If not a fresh driveline, I'd have it done for worry free ( mostly) riding.

Just fyi with your t10/11 problem all Max II's need to have the floor pan removed along with the upper body raised for any repairs as there is only a small access hole in the upper bodies, the early JLO machines had an opening of about 6"x8", and all the later ones a little larger but muffler is right there.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I'm with argo Jim on this one. Maybe even look into a Max IV for more room. I'm 6' and moved the front seat back and have more room than a Max II. If you decide to go with a Max I'd recommend one with square headlights. Then you get the upgraded driveline argo Jim mentioned.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

im 6'1 or so and my argo bigfoot has plenty of room.......

That's what I figured just wasn't sure. I'm over racing haha and I have my quad if if I think I need to go any faster than 20 or so mph. My biggest issue is it's almost too cheap to pass even if I buy it to flip it or even a engine swap, assuming it's not much more than swapping the engine and mounting and maybe clutch?. The drive is a bit of a hike but I have plenty of time to do stuff. There is another older Argo 6x6 I have my eye on but it's quite a bit more and still the same distance to pick up.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 07-10-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    That's what I figured just wasn't sure. I'm over racing haha and I have my quad if if I think I need to go any faster than 20 or so mph. My biggest issue is it's almost too cheap to pass even if I buy it to flip it or even a engine swap, assuming it's not much more than swapping the engine and mounting and maybe clutch?. The drive is a bit of a hike but I have plenty of time to do stuff. There is another older Argo 6x6 I have my eye on but it's quite a bit more and still the same distance to pick up.
    Member countrycummins has a Max II for sale right up 81 if you would like to try one, his machine has the faster Bandalero engine in it. I'm sure Shawn would let you drive it and could tell you the history on it. If Bob didn't already take it.
    https://scranton.craigslist.org/snw/6200566557.html

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I saw that one, looks like an awesome machine. I'd love to have it but it's a little more than I have right now. I bet it boogies with that bandolero. I'm going to go ahead and get this 2 stroke max ii, even though I need a 4 stroke, it's only 600 bucks and Im meeting the gentleman tomorrow to pick it up. I just can't let it pass for the price. I guess no matter what I'm going to be in around 2000 bucks when it's all said and done whether I do a swap to 4 stroke or flip it and buy
    a machine ready to rock. I'm a bit of a tinkerer so who knows but I'm about 99% positive it's coming home with me tomorrow(Tuesday) evening. https://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/snw/6207461714.html

I found a few Briggs and Stratton opposed twins and v twins ranging from 16-20 horsepower that seem decently priced, all say that they are 1 inch shaft. So my question is what would my best choice be for a clutch? And how much is the jlo 440 worth to sell?
    If I can sell the 2 stroke for a decent price I should be able to keep my total investment right around a grand not counting accessories I don't really need and assuming the chains, sprockets, wheel bearings and trans are in good useable condition. I'm planning to redo the wiring and add an alternator if I decide to do the swap instead of finishing and flipping it. I get a little carried away with off road lighting and a winch is a must for me so the extra power from an alternator will be nice, along with running a radio, I found motorcycle radios on eBay reasonably priced and mount in a 3 or 3 1/2" hole like a gauge.
    I will also be making a custom seat with some kind of decent padding, I'm undecided on cloth or vinyl covers, we have a store called surplus city that sells vinyl and fabric for pretty nice prices.
    Also what are some of you guys using for windshields? Not a fan of plexiglass but I'm kind of doubting I can find a piece of tempered glass the right shape and size to fit the roll cage on the max.
    I'm not dead set on doing a swap but am leaning pretty hard in that direction after finding a few cheap Briggs engines. I'm pretty decent at fab work and have for the most part always done my own mechanical work so I'm definitely not afraid to dig into a swap, my biggest concern is the clutch setup and cost of the clutch. Thank you guys again for the feed back and awesome information.

+ Reply to Thread