Why you never start in gear!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why you never start in gear!

I think your Max wants to come in now. Maybe your Max is an indoor Max.

I park my Max IV in neutral, and start it in neutral. Everytime. I taught myself this habit from the get-go. I never had a problem.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

When I first got my MAX II, I also had read the MAX manual and where it says under General Operating Instructions, Engine Start: "5. Shift the transmission into the Reverse position. You may have to rock the ATV to engage reverse." I had called one of the dealers asking why the transmission should be in gear, IN REVERSE, NOT NEUTRAL to start, and they stated that in reverse the lateral springs hold the transmission brakes to prevent the unit from moving when started, but they also recommended setting the parking brake as an additional precaution.

I started my Argo up this past winter to plow my driveway. A little colder so after it started I eased up the throttle a bit. If I hadn't eased it I would have gone completely through my garage wall and into my bed. I've learned to double check that I didn't leave it in gear when I shut it off. The garage wall still bears the scar.

+ Reply to Thread