Bearing longevity question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bearing longevity question

Bearing longevity question

Just wondering how long others get out of their inner/outer axle bearings. I have an '04 max 2 that I've changed bearings in once...I think the meter has 300 hrs on it

If you clean and use a good grease thy should hold up for a Long time.

bearings

DSCN0457.jpgDSCN0458.jpg HI, I bought a Swamp fox that had the original bearings in it and they were still serviceable. They last a long time as long as they are not abused to excess and don't sit full of water....... grease is cheap, bearings are expensive. Learned that farming.....PMs are the secret to longevity!

We changed out a few bearings on a few axles over the past few years. We grease often, but I have absolutely no proof grease gets into that tiny hole. Where does the grease that was in it from the factory go, if the bearings are sealed?
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

In my opinion stamped steel flange bearings are the cheapest bearings known to man kind and are the biggest flaw of any AATV. There should be at least 3 bearings per axel standard with the center bearing completely packed in grease to the keep water out of the bearing and seal the tub as well. Amphibs eat bearings for breakfast. Like Rusty says when you grease very little if any grease gets in the actual bearing itself and the grease that is in there gets washed out from water leaking past the seals. I've seen bearings start to go after only 100 hrs if used in water a lot.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Bearing longevity

2001 Max IV with 1000 hrs. Still running on original bearings. Replaced bearings FR inner &outer when replacing bent axle. Though damaged from bent axle, they were full of grease and otherwise OK. I don't do many amphibious operations though. All in the maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread