Axle bushings zerk

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle bushings zerk

Axle bushings zerk

Guys with prolonged use of bushing type axles with grease zerks, do they seem to last better? After rebuilding and replacing everything how long should I expect to last without a zerk but still do regular greasing? How much better do they seem to last with the zerk and regular greasing? Eventually I might try to convert to newer style with inner bearings but it's not in the budget at this point.
    The zerk seems like a great idea to me since I wouldn't have to pull axles to do a pm. I'm planning on having a steel rod pressed into each axle for strength already but that will keep the grease on the end it needs to be on instead of using 3 or 4 tubes of grease to do my initial greasing and get the axles full. Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks guys.
    Edit... I read the thread mentioning needle or roller bearings instead of bushings, with regular greasing they should stay clean since the grease would push everything out the open end after having the rods pressed in my axles, how expensive are these bearings? Is my thinking right that with a zerk and bearings the bearings should stay clean and last long with regular greasing? Im planning to give it a pump or two every time I run my machine, seemed to work great on my backhoe when I was excavating while other guys would spend an hour or more greasing their dry bushings from only greasing once a week. Just some thoughts I've been kicking around while I wheel and deal trying to rebuild this machine into my "perfect" do all buggy.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 07-20-2017 at 08:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread