Clutch question.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutch question.

Clutch question.

Guys that have done or have machines that are swapped to 4 stroke, how bad will my performance be with 18hp chonda and letting the driven clutch alone (2stroke) for the time being? I don't want to be frying my belt or breaking stuff. What should I expect? I'm planning to tune it or change it but it's not on top of the priority list at the moment.

Let it be for now provided you get the matching drive clutch.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Let it be for now provided you get the matching drive clutch.
    Yes I'm getting the 4 stroke drive clutch, hoping to find a good used but if not I'll buy new. They are on eBay for I think $226ish, I'm hoping to find one for less than that.

I'll post my 2 cents worth. I removed the 2 stroke from my max and installed a honda clone engine. I believe I ordered a new driver and driven that was a series 40D that was good up to 18hp. The set was around $85 and I had to buy a belt for $25 as well. The only catch was the driven did not have an internal keyway cut. I borrowed a broach and cut one myself in maybe 20 minutes. Could be done with a file or dremel as well I imagine. I haven't had any issues with mine so far. The belt is of course smaller than the original so I imagine it can handle the abuse a larger setup can, but for getting the thing running and having fun it was a cheap setup at just over $100

Quote Originally Posted by odskaggs2 View Post
    I'll post my 2 cents worth. I removed the 2 stroke from my max and installed a honda clone engine. I believe I ordered a new driver and driven that was a series 40D that was good up to 18hp. The set was around $85 and I had to buy a belt for $25 as well. The only catch was the driven did not have an internal keyway cut. I borrowed a broach and cut one myself in maybe 20 minutes. Could be done with a file or dremel as well I imagine. I haven't had any issues with mine so far. The belt is of course smaller than the original so I imagine it can handle the abuse a larger setup can, but for getting the thing running and having fun it was a cheap setup at just over $100
    I will keep that in mind for my next one, member toys4me helped me out with a 94c clutch and green spring for my secondary. I also have the 18hp clone, I'm hoping it's enough power for me I passed on some Briggs and Kohler's because the clone was cheap and has a one year warranty, if I can't break it in a year it should last a little while.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread