What RPM Range are You Running?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What RPM Range are You Running?

What RPM Range are You Running?

Just curious what Max RPM range people are running to get to top speed and how much of a difference does an RPM range of 3500 vs 4000 have on top speed? My Max IV with a 20hp Kohler tops out at around 12mph at 3550 RPMs. I am working to increase the RPMs through governor adjustment but wasn't sure how much that would impact the top speed if I was able to get to 4000 or more. I guess I need some insight on what RPM I should be shooting for?

Also, My clutch doesn't appear to be fully engaged at my highest RPMs, not sure if it is that my RPMs aren't running high enough or something else. I have a new belt installed and got similar speeds with the prior overstretched belt.

Can you post a video of it running and revving in neutral? Could just be a slacked belt. What width belt did you get? I wouldn't play with your governor yet, you should run 25mph or somewhere in there at 3550 rpm. Wd40 the primary clutch's insides through the circular ports, and through the side when it's running and open, (just be careful to not let it eat anything like your hand). WD 40 the spring area on the secondary clutch too, as well as the slide wedges. You should see a slight change, but if still no, use some screw drivers to pry open the primary, and inspect it for excessive rust. Don't stick your fingners in there, it's hard to open the clutch with both hands, even harder with a hand and a half.if it looks like it could use freshening up, take the clutch off the motor, apart, and clean it up, rebuild if necessary.

I main Max 2 right now. No tach, but stock governor linkage. Guessing i hit the 3600 max set point and it sure feels like 25-30 mph with 22" tires.
    Meep Meep

mine is set at 4200 RPM with my 25HP Kohler. When I was setting mine up I found my clutches would not fully shift out until it hit over 3600 RPM so you may not be seeing your full top speed at 3500 RPM.

My Max IV with 22hp Predator floats the valves at about 4400 and that gets me to 32mph.

Also, if you decide you want to take a peak inside your primary, take the belt off, start the motor, and rev it. Primary should open up and stay open after you shut it off. Just learned that earlier today on accident. Used two big screwdrivers to pop it back closed.
    Meep Meep

never knew dat one now I got to take off belt and see

I have been messing around with my MaxII (14hp Vanguard) for a while and still cannot get beyond 15mph. I installed a tach, but can only get 3570 rpm's wide open. I have a new (correct) belt and it is tensioned properly, but the motor wide open will not make the belt go all the way to the top of the primary clutch. If I manually press the governor arm after the throttle is maxed out, it will rev close to 3950 and the belt goes all the way to the top of the driver. I have been warned by several people not to mess with the governor, but I am tempted to modify it to get the full potential. I am convinced the 3570 rpm limit is causing the 15mph top speed. Just my .02- RR
    Last edited by Reconrokon; 08-25-2017 at 05:51 PM.

I have removed or bypassed the governor on all my machines. It is like a whole new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reconrokon View Post
    I have been messing around with my MaxII (14hp Vanguard) for a while and still cannot get beyond 15mph. I installed a tach, but can only get 3570 rpm's wide open. I have a new (correct) belt and it is tensioned properly, but the motor wide open will not make the belt go all the way to the top of the driven clutch. If I manually press the governor arm after the throttle is maxed out, it will rev close to 3950 and the belt goes all the way to the top of the driver. I have been warned by several people not to mess with the governor, but I am tempted to modify it to get the full potential. I am convinced the 3570 rpm limit is causing the 15mph top speed. Just my .02- RR
    I'm currently having the same issue, have not returned to it yet.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Sorry for the delay on getting this video posted. Please confirm if my clutch is engaging high enough when I push it to the max RPMs as detailed in the video. I also confirmed that my belt deflection is currently at around 2" so I will need to shim the engine this weekend to reduce the belt deflection some.

+ Reply to Thread