I need s better secondary clutch...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need s better secondary clutch...

I need s better secondary clutch...

I just discovered the secondary clutch, which is supposed to be a factory clutch sold by MFGSupply, lost one of the cam slider buttons. Again. I am getting frustrated by this. I installed new ones a month ago. (These were also frm MFG) Dumping slider buttons too often.
    What causes this?
    Are there better and stronger sliders available?
    Is there a better secondary, with wheels, not sliders, that fit a T20?
    Thank you.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

are they getting worn out or just falling out?

They break off, leaving the stud in the mounting hole. Is there stronger sliders than what MFGSupply sells? I have no idea exactly what material they are made from, but are a plastic material of some sort.

Are your helix ramps smooth or galled up from a the shoes coming off? Is it always the same shoe that comes off? I would try to smooth out the ramps, they may be grabbing the shoe and dragging it off the post.

The ramps are all smooth. I don't know if its the same one to fall off, I didn't mark them.
    Are there stronger sliders, like glass-filled nylon, or something?
    How about another clutch that has wheels instead of buttons?

Are you replacing all 3 at the same time? If there is any wear they will
    Put more load on the new one.

Yes, I did change out all three together. Maybe this clutch hates me and its protesting. Lol
    Are there stronger sliders then these plastic ones?
    Better yet, is there a replacement secondary that has wheels, not sliders?
    Sliders are cheaper, so I am looking for stronger sliders first. Thank you.

I have a theory... if my clutch is not oiled well at the spring area, could it be sticking open, then slam shut against the belt, thus breaking a slider?
    I keep forgetting to lube it each time we grease bearings and chains. Maybe it's pilot error, eh?
    I got to figure this out.
    BTW, the original secondary also tossed a few sliders, so I replaced iy with the one on the Max now, ordered from MFGSupply.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 08-26-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Yeah, there are many companies that make aftermarket roller secondary clutches. My other money pit is my Can Am Renegade ATV that I have full aftermarket clutches on. I have an STM Rage 6 primary clutch and an STM Roller secondary. These clutches can be tuned to just about any application by changing weights, springs, etc... The STM roller secondary is a thing of beauty with many spring and helix options to choose from. I have 4 different Helixs for my ATV depending on what tires I'm running or where I'm running the ATV. I have the standard straight 45 degree helix for everyday trail riding, the 35 degree Helix for when I'm running huge tires in the mud pits and a straight 40 and 45/40 for mixed riding. I'm sure it would be easy to adapt one to the T-20 input but thats a lot of cheese to dish out for little gains on a Max. It would be interesting to try an STM secondary with a helix that has the engine braking ramp, maybe steep down hills would be less sketchy with engine braking.

I decided to purchase a new secondary fro MFG Supply. I figure to be lubing it a lot more this time around. Not enough lube could have contributed to it's issues.

+ Reply to Thread